What's new

Replace iPhone 4, using same Sim card?

DarkJade

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have just spent over half an hour searching for a topic discussing this issue, so if it exists and I missed it, I am sorry.

So my Husband just dropped his iPhone4 (8gb) and the glass cracked pretty bad. Last year I upgraded to an iPhone5 from an old iPhone4 (32gb).

So my question is, can we take his Sim Card out of his iPhone4(8gb) and put it in the iPhone4(32gb) and have it work?

Or will there be underlying issues. We want to try an avoid taking it to at&t so that his upgrade date wont change.
(He's not eligible for another year, but I don't think the cracked screen will last for a year.)

I would just swap the Sim Card over, but I am afraid of locking his phone or making matters worse.

thanks!
Jade

Assuming you're both using the same carrier, yes. You may have to go onto your My AT&T account and make sure the ESN of your old iPhone 4 is transferred onto his number. You can also take it to AT&T and tell them that you want to swap the numbers over. All you need is to bring in your husband's old SIM card and your old iPhone 4. If the rep asks why the change, just say your husband wants more storage on his device so he'll be using your old iPhone 4.