What's new

Ram footprint of IOS?

Reaction score
I was performing some routine maintenance (deleting cache, etc) in order to keep my v12.4.3. 5S running as well as can reasonably be expected when I noticed that the lowest that I can force RAM utilization down to is around 70%. This is with only one app running, Status Monitor by techet.net.

I get similar results with other system monitors (SmartMemory and RefreshEd).

I've done a search to try to find out if this is a reasonable 'lowest' level of RAM utilization but was surprised to come up empty. Apparently, I'm not searching correctly for the v12.4.3 RAM footprint.

Can any of you please give me a hint as to how to find this info?

To clarify, I am not asking for help troubleshooting anything. There are a few functions that work in a flaky fashion (and which could conceivably be aggravated by improper RAM utilization, I suppose), but this particular exercise is proactive-oriented and one of self-education.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Are you having issues with RAM? If not, don't worry about it. iOS manages RAM really well. There's really no need for those "monitor" apps. Which iPhone are you using?

Are you having issues with RAM? If not, don't worry about it. iOS manages RAM really well. There's really no need for those "monitor" apps. Which iPhone are you using?

Ledsteplin, thanks for the reply.

It is an iPhone 5S.

I don't know whether the issues I've been seeing are due to RAM.

Is the footprint size information that is difficult to find publicly?

Try holding the power button until you get the power off slider. Then hold the home button until the phone goes back to your lock screen. This should clear the RAM. After you do this check and see if it has made any difference. I know this was the procedure for my iPhone 7 Plus, which has a home button. Should be the same for your 5s. Post back and let us know if it works or not. Hopefully it will.

Try holding the power button until you get the power off slider. Then hold the home button until the phone goes back to your lock screen. This should clear the RAM. After you do this check and see if it has made any difference. I know this was the procedure for my iPhone 7 Plus, which has a home button. Should be the same for your 5s. Post back and let us know if it works or not. Hopefully it will.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

I'd done the 'clear cache' thing prior to my original post, although I'm guilty of being vague (I wrote "force RAM utilization down") so you couldn't have known. That function DOES reduce RAM usage temporarily from 90+% to around 70%, although it quickly rises again to 90+.

I'm accustomed to performing proactive maintenance on computing devices that I use (PCs, Unix workstations, etc) and I tend to be suspicious that an app (I have lots of non-Apple apps on my 5S) may be misbehaving (as you know, RAM memory leaks are common in the computing world), in which case I typically uninstall the app (with minimal troubleshooting, since memory leaks are challenging for the user to 'fix') unless it is absolutely essential to me (often, alternatives are available).

So, I'm simply trying to figure out whether my typical RAM utilization of 90-+% (with no apps running) is 'expected' or whether it is a symptom of something misbehaving. In my iPhone naiveté I imagined that the RAM footprint of ios would be well-known and that I was simply not googling correctly to find it.

I think I understand your point about RAM management, which I assume refers to virtual memory management, although in every case of a memory leak on a computing device that I have experienced in the past there has been a corresponding system performance problem, despite the presence of a virtual memory management system.

Anyhow, I'm truly not trying to be annoying. If my question is outside the scope of this forum, please feel perfectly free to ignore me.

I thank you again for your replies.

Best Regards,
Beginner_Iphone_User

Reactions: 933