What's new

Question about "Enable 3G" in iOS 5.1

crusher25

Reaction score
I updated to the latest iOS 5.1. I forgot if this is also present in iOS 5.0.1 but is there an "Enable 3G" option back in iOS 5.0.1 in the Network Settings? I can only remember seeing "Cellular Data" (On/Off) but not the "Enable 3G". But if there is an "Enable 3G" option before, forgive me short memory.

Here's my question, should I set that "Enable 3G" option to On? I surf the internet using my iPhone 4S (Factory Unlocked) using my Wi-Fi connection here at home but I don't surf the internet using my mobile carrier. So should I turn that On? Or should I leave it turned Off? Also, what does that "Enable 3G" option do? I mean what does it affects? Will it affect my text messages and calls? Or only my internet browsing speed?

Thanks!

If you are talking about the toggle switch that specifically turns on and off 3g I believe that is a new feature in 5.1, I have not updated yet. When the switch was made to ios 5 they got rid of that option and people were not happy about it so I guess it is back now.

Last edited:
So I dont get it... Did you switch to 5.1 and the option is not there?

I updated my 4S to 5.1 this morning and I don't see any enable 3G anywhere, just the enable 3G for cellular data usage. So I checked my wife's phone also a 4S still running 5.0.1 and it's the same, so I guess the function for turning 3G on and off is still not available.

That option is carrier dependent if memory serves. I believe you have to be an AT&T customer to see it.

Here's my question, should I set that "Enable 3G" option to On? I surf the internet using my iPhone 4S (Factory Unlocked) using my Wi-Fi connection here at home but I don't surf the internet using my mobile carrier. So should I turn that On? Or should I leave it turned Off? Also, what does that "Enable 3G" option do? I mean what does it affects? Will it affect my text messages and calls? Or only my internet browsing speed?

Good question, i would like to know the answers to that too.
I'm on Orange France.
I didn't have "Enable 3G" before I updated last night...but it's there now.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Good question, i would like to know the answers to that too.
I'm on Orange France.
I didn't have "Enable 3G" before I updated last night...but it's there now.

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

If you don't use mobile data turn it off it basically just saves battery when it's off as the phone isn't constantly searching for a 3G signal from the network :)

Sent from my  iPhone 4S using Tapatalk ☠