What's new

PSA:Semirestore- the RE-RESTORE that you've all been looking for

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
THIS IS ONLY A PSA. THIS UTILITY IS STILL IN THE FINAL STAGES OF BETA TESTING AND IS NOT RELEASED YET. ONCE IT IS, I WILL CREATE A PICTURE TUTORIAL ON HOW TO USE THIS

Before we all go "What is this? What does it do? Is this legit? Is this compatible with my i_____?"

Simple questions to start

FAQ

Q: What iOS is this for?

A: This will work on iOS 5.0 through 6.1.2, so yes, 5.0, 5.1, 5.1.1/r1, 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.1, 6.1.1, and 6.1.2

Q: Will this work for my iPhone 3GS/4/4S/5?

A: YES!!! Assuming your iOS is between 5.0 and 6.1.2 inclusive

Q: Will this work on my iPad 1/2/3/4/Mini?

Q: Will this work on my iPod Touch 3rd/4th/5th gen?

Q: Is this the Jesus of your Mother Theresa for your jailbroken device?

A: Pretty much.

What is this?!?!?!?

This is a little utility called Semi-restore, developed by CoolStar. What this does is it simulates a RE-RESTORE of your device.
What's a RE-RESTORE?

A re-restore is the process of which you put the same iOS BACK ONTO your device.

Example? I'm on my iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1.2, it's running slow, it's acting up, this isn't working, that isn't working, basically I have to restore my iPhone, but this cursed 6.1.4 isn't jailbreakable. By using semirestore, I can put iOS 6.1.2 BACK ONTO my device WITHOUT SHSH BLOBS. Yes you heard me right. I just said the 3 words of your dreams. WITHOUT. SHSH. BLOBS. This will work on iOS 5.0 through 6.1.2.

By using Semi-restore, I'll wipe my jailbroken device, and it'll be like it was just freshly restored. Yes, it'll bring you back to your activation screen like when you opened it up straight out of the box, clean of your jailbreak so you can re-jailbreak your device, basically restoring and rejailbreaking but on the same iOS you were just on, WITHOUT blobs.

You're pulling my leg here....

Nope. Very serious, and very legit. With the initial beta release, I was selected to test SemiRestore. I was skeptical about it at first, but ultimately it worked. Buggy when I first tested, but it worked. Since iDB released an article solely about it, at least there's some credibility behind my experience. Though Jeff from iDB does it the long way, it's basically the same process as ILEX R.A.T. here, just that you're running a different command. Note that ILEX R.A.T. also has a similar feature, which is option 12 after typing in the "rat" command

The delivery method to your device is the same as ILEX R.A.T., you can FTP it over or use iFunBox or whatever utility of your choice, run the designated command like ILEX R.A.T. and there you go.

TL;DR:

When Semi-restore is released, you can re-restore (restore to a clean copy of your current iOS) WITHOUT BLOBS. It's a fresh restore without upgrading your iOS on ANY device. This is basically a time machine. What you did from the point when you activated your device to jailbreaking it to installing your tweaks, it all becomes reversed, so it uninstalls your tweaks, wipes everything from your device and sets you back to the activation screen.

iDB's credibility towards my personal beta testing experience

Last edited:
It's basically the standalone version for ILEX R.A.T.'s option 12, which does the same thing, but Semirestore offers it for the PC as well as the idevice itself, meaning if your device cannot be put into Safe Mode, and Wifi is toggled off, you can hardwire your device and do it

It's basically the standalone version for ILEX R.A.T.'s option 12, which does the same thing, but Semirestore offers it for the PC as well as the idevice itself, meaning if your device cannot be put into Safe Mode, and Wifi is toggled off, you can hardwire your device and do it

Nice.