What's new

Problems with setting up emails

JoeyD

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me?

I am having problems setting up my Dads iphone 4 with his email acounts (I have done mine succesfully)

He has not been able to retrieve any emails on his phone despite trying to re-enter all information many times

Today, we have tried deleting the 3 accounts from his phone, then re-sync with his pc to transfer the account details, but for some reason they are not appearing on his phone. They just won't transfer over

We tried entering one of them manually, but it won't let us save when we get to the final step. then we lose everything again

Is there a step by step intstruction we could follow?

I'm sure we are doing everything correctly as we have managed to do mine and my mums phones - it is just my Dad who is having problems

One thought we are having is that my Dad was experiencing problems retreiving his emails on his blackberry previously (hence why he upgraded to iphone4) could this be something to do with vodafone?
We have a new microsim for the iphone, the phone is ok for calls and txtx etc, just not emails (same as his blackberry)

I'm hoping there may be a simple explanation?

Many thanks

Jo

Arrgghhhhhh

another hour wasted on the telephone to vodafone.
They say there is no fault with the phone, it must be the email service provider

This cannot be right as my Dad has 3 service providers - no way would all 3 be out of order! Plus, I use the same email service providers on my phone and they are fine.
Also, he is receiving emails on his pc fine

It is driving us bonkers, my Dad needs his phone as he is away quite a lot with business and is really stuck without it

please help!

Details... What email service are you using? How exactly are you setting it up? Also, you really shouldn't need to sync your mail accounts to your pc . All that does is save the account details not actually sync mail (it's all pulled from the server).

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply

My Dad has 3 email accounts:

1 - btinternet.com
2 - repsenergy.com (private work via webfusion.com)
3 - sicmemotori.co.uk (private work via fasthosts)

We are using vodafone 360 as the outgoing mail server

I've managed to set up my repsenergy and sicmemotori emails succesfully, so have follwed the same principle when inputting the accounts manually.
We do have the passwords etc correct as we've tried logging in direct to all 3 remote accounts to make sure we have the right passwords

When we try and input each account manually, for some reason we get to the end of the process and the 'save' button isnt highlighted, only the cancel, which means we lose all of the data inputed, hence the reason for trying to input the data via the itunes sync option

hope this makes sense!

Jo

edited to add - we are not trying to sync the emails from his pc, it was the account details we were trying to sync.

I would try adding them all using their mail server as the outgoing. You have the option in settings to set your outgoing account. Also, be sure all the boxes are filled out because a box missing info is why the save button is grey.

Thanks Danny, we have done all of that.

The settings on my dads phone are exactly the same as what are on mine (bar the email address and password) Everything is filled in, we've double and triple checked it all. We've done 3 or 4 factory re-sets, removed and re-installed itunes, removed and re-entered the account settings both manually and by sync (when it would let us sync!)
the error message always reads 'check server details are correct' or equivalent, but we are sure that everything is ok.

We really don't know what alse to do. Vodafone have wiped their hands of us which is quite frustrating.

Do you think it could be a vodafone problem? The same was happening with his blackberry previously, he wasn't getting any emails through at all.
Or, is there something on his PC that is stopping us receiving anything? Could he have set something on there by mistake?

Then I'm stumped if your using all the same settings and they are working on one and not on the other.

I know....bummer isn't it!?

Not sure what to do, especially as vodafone have wiped their hands of us.
He has requested a new phone, but they are saying that there is nothing wrong with the one he has as he can make/receive calls on it

We thought about him going into an apple shop, but they are living in spain at the moment and not sure how that would work

Yea, I don't think it's a problem with the phone. I'd sure setup a appntmnt with a Genus at the store. Have you tried calling Apple? That's really who you should be talking to.