What's new

Playlist Mixer for Audiobook and Classical Music

ginchairman

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of an app that can be used as a playlist mixer. My purpose is a bit different than what a DJ mixer would be typically used for. Still, I'd be happy to use one if it worked the way I needed. My intended use is as follows. I use my iPhone to listen to audiobooks. A little known fact is that there is much greater learning retention when studying while listening to baroque classical music in the background. With that in mind I would like to be able to load up two playlists. The first playlist would be the actual audiobook I'm listening to. An audiobook typically runs between 80 and 120 five minute tracks. The second playlist would be several hours of baroque classical music. There would not be any need for cross-fading, just a level adjustment for each playlist. Any help in steering me toward an app that would do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've been searching for an app like this with little to no luck.

djay is the closest app to this that I've come across. It has two "decks," which load one song each. After the songs are over, however, playback stops; there is no option to automatically continue playing whatever playlist, artist, audiobook or podcast you have selected. It works in the background, but again, the way it forces you to manually select another song, podcast, etc. severely limits its usefulness.

So in short, I can't provide you with a solution, unfortunately.

I want an app like this so I can listen to Japanese audiobooks or podcasts while listening to instrumental music (post-rock bands like Mono, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, etc.) at the same time, as doing so makes listening to a language that I can't really comprehend vastly more tolerable. It'd really help with learning the language, since immersion would be that much easier.

Maybe we should try emailing the creators of existing apps and asking for a function like this. Android phones have an app called MyPOD Podcast Manager that allows for simultaneous playback of podcasts and music, but unfortunately it's not for iPhone.
Hopefully there's a solution for iPhone out there somewhere.

Android app: "Integrated dual player for listening to Voice & Music simultaneously."
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.my_pod.mypod&hl=en