What's new

Phone uses 3G in Standby??!

EWyatt

Reaction score
Please clarify for a new user: does (or does not) the iPhone 4 transmit and receive 3G cellular data while in Standby (dark screen) even though a good wi-fi connection is available?

If yes, is there any way to disable this ridiculous function other than simply shutting off 3G and "cellular data" in the Settings?

Thanks,
EW

It will still use a small amount of data on standby if no wifi is available. You can turn your data off by going to settings > general > network > mobile data...

If it's connected to wifi no it won't use data.

Sorry DannyBoy, but I think you're wrong. I've got a great wi-fi setup at home and use it always. However, when I go to my iPhone and awaken it from Standby, it shows that it's on 3G, then quickly switches over to wi-fi until the next time it goes into Standby. Yours is the same, I'm quite sure. That's why I get around 300 kb of data plan usage daily (as shown in my wireless account pages) even though I'm on strictly wi-fi.

And remember, my original question was whether I can disable this cellular usage in Standby mode, even though I'm using wi-fi. Judging by your response and another, I think not.

Of course I could always disable 3G and "cellular data" in the Settings page, but that's beside the point.

It will still use a small amount of data on standby if no wifi is available. You can turn your data off by going to settings > general > network > mobile data...

As I wrote DannyBoy, the iPhone 4 will use a small amount of data in Standby mode even if wi-fi is available, because wi-fi is DISABLED in Standby mode!! That is the entire point of this whole thread of discussion. Agree??

And yes, I agree that I can disable data per your instructions above, but that's not the point. The point is WHY IS WI-FI DISABLED IN STANDBY MODE AND CAN THAT BE OVERRIDDEN.

if im hearimg right...your using it in your house downloading,when it goes in standbuy it switches to 3g and uses data.
there is one quick fix to this,disable auto lock!
if its just sitting there,plugged in or on a stand or whatever,just disable it

i personally hate auto lock and never use it

Last edited:
Want an easy way to override it. Download SB settings. You can turn data on/off in 5 seconds.

What's wrong with using 300kb a day? It's an iPhone you should have a data plan with it. Of course it should use wifi over 3G but that's not the worst problem with the phone. If your not happy then take the phone back...

I had a similar concern, except that I was VERY nervous that my phone would use roaming data when we travel (We live in Canada and travel to the US).

So, on our last trip to Great Falls I switched off the Data Roaming option. i used the iPhone in the hotel (free wifi), and tried it in the mall (checking for free wifi) but didn't get anything.

When my bill came in, I checked my data usage--and the two days we were in Great Falls showed absolutely zero usage!

(I realize that this is a little off topic, but hope it may be of interest to some who read this thread.)

Never had a problem with mine... I leave several apps running in the background thruought the day.... I'm on wifi all day with the screen off & I dont see any data usage..... If your worried about KB you should probably upgrade your data plan.

Want an easy way to override it. Download SB settings. You can turn data on/off in 5 seconds.

What's wrong with using 300kb a day? It's an iPhone you should have a data plan with it. Of course it should use wifi over 3G but that's not the worst problem with the phone. If your not happy then take the phone back...
Sigh.... Real Nice.

First, SB Settings cannot be found in the iPhone Market. If this is a jailbreak app, you should state so, since most of us aren't broken.

Next: There's nothing wrong with using 300kb/day. I never said it was. I was simply ASKING THE QUESTION why the phone uses data when wi-fi is available. Was that so hard to understand?

I never impled I was unhappy with the iPhone. I love it.

Why is it so hard to ask a simple question and not get a definitive answer here, esp from the "seasoned" users? I have a theory...

If your worried about KB you should probably upgrade your data plan.

I never said I was worried about my small data usage! I was asking a simple question, still not addressed, which apparently poses a major challenge.

Sigh.... Real Nice.

First, SB Settings cannot be found in the iPhone Market. If this is a jailbreak app, you should state so, since most of us aren't broken.

Next: There's nothing wrong with using 300kb/day. I never said it was. I was simply ASKING THE QUESTION why the phone uses data when wi-fi is available. Was that so hard to understand?

I never impled I was unhappy with the iPhone. I love it.

Why is it so hard to ask a simple question and not get a definitive answer here, esp from the "seasoned" users? I have a theory...

I was detecting a bout of sarcasm/arrogance from your previous post so I returned with some of my own. If I'm wrong then please accept my apologies. Im sorry if I did not answer your question correctly the first time round but you are asking a question that is hard to answer.

As DannyBoy said in his first post the phone doesn't use data when on wifi. I reset my data usage to zero last night and left my wifi and 3G on. It is still saying zero this morning after being left on charge all night. If you are getting a different result then I would suggest there is something not right with your phone and to give apple a call to see what they suggest...

Last edited:
No worries, gaz6076. I don't have nearly enough data usage to worry about, so I'm dropping this discussion, mostly because I'm at fault for not making myself clear enough. FYI, I'm still using just a "very little" bit of the data plan even though I'm on wi-fi because when my phone goes into "dark screen standby" the wi-fi is disconnected and the 3G kicks in, until the next time I wake the phone. During that sleep time, perhaps one of running programs pulls some data, for whatever reason. Nothing to worry about, at all - just something to put up here for commentary.

Anyway...... thanks for the words.
EW

Really call apple.... Mine doesn't switch to 3G...... If yours does it's not supposed to.

Mine definitely uses 3G even when wifi is available. I installed Dataman (from the App Store) that tracks wifi and 3G usage separately. Every night I see about 30-40 KB of 3G usage every 10-15 minutes. And I have a very strong wifi signal at home.