What's new

Phone or Service Problem??

lanc3085

Reaction score
I was driving for the holidays Yesterday and was in Kansas for a large part of the day. At times, I would go from edge to "AT&T" with no data. AT&T told me a while a go that when my phone would move towers it could lose data until it went to another tower. Another guy at AT&T said that it should never lose data. Once it went to strictly "AT&T" with no 4g or LTE or any data, I would turn the phone off and back on again. Then 4g would be back. Is this a phone issue or a service issue?

Technically it is a firmware and software issue based on what I have researched. Basically the cellular radio code gets into an unknown or bad state and the software doesn't seem to be able to reset it. At that point you either reboot the iPhone or turn Airport mode on/off. BTW, this happens on Android based phones as well.

Technically it is a firmware and software issue based on what I have researched. Basically the cellular radio code gets into an unknown or bad state and the software doesn't seem to be able to reset it. At that point you either reboot the iPhone or turn Airport mode on/off. BTW, this happens on Android based phones as well.

If the issue spans platforms (Apple, Android) it sounds like an issue in the cellular standard being used.

Nope. CDMA and GSM both suffer from it. No one has pegged down how to do data hand off properly. Voice side is dead easy. At worst you simply drop the current call. But with data you are trying to maintain TCP connections and that makes it difficult.

Nope. CDMA and GSM both suffer from it. No one has pegged down how to do data hand off properly. Voice side is dead easy. At worst you simply drop the current call. But with data you are trying to maintain TCP connections and that makes it difficult.

I think I see the problem. File/packet corruption could happen easily without some type of validation or checksum.. and generating said validation or checksum would greatly inflate the data transfer itself.

I think I see the problem. File/packet corruption could happen easily without some type of validation or checksum.. and generating said validation or checksum would greatly inflate the data transfer itself.

Actually that checksum already exists for TCP packets. They come both numbered for reassembly as well as a simple check to see if the packet is complete. I think the issue is more related to the point to point connection of the devices and maintaining the routing info for all packets. Because the network side knows the next series of packets haven't arrived yet and yet the OS doesn't seem to signal the radio "Reset, you have gone brain dead on me". No clue why that would be so hard. Heck maybe it is happening and the radio is simply ignoring it because it thinks the signal is still valid. Who knows?

So to dumb it down for me, I don't have a defective phone? This is a wide spread issue??

lanc3085 said:
So to dumb it down for me, I don't have a defective phone? This is a wide spread issue??

No, your phone isn't defective. Follow the workaround mentioned by Skull One in the second post in this thread. You'll have to do it every time the data connection fails.

Last edited: