What's new

Phone calls over wi-fi?

kenj65

Reaction score
I'm surprised there isn't much talk about this. (Searched a number of different terms)

A friend of mine has an Android phone and his home happens to be in a dead spot for cell signal. He tells me that as long as he is in range of his wi-fi router he gets full smart-phone function including perfect telephone calls because his phone automatically switches to use the wi-fi connection. He says not all Android phones work that way but some do.

I have been looking for an iPhone app that will provide this functionality. Since I make most of my phone calls from home it would give great savings in air time.

The only app I have tried is Google Voice but you have to get a separate phone number! That doesn't seem very integrated to me. Some of the other apps I have looked at seem to work the same way. Has anyone solved this problem? And can you recommend apps or a proper search term for apps? Some of the terminology is rather confusing.

Your friend must be on Tmobile and must have a phone that supports uma. The iphone will not do that and there is no app that will make it do that. Your best bet is like you said google voice. The Iphone does not support uma and right now the only carrier that does is Tmobile.

Thanks for the reply, Rainbow1616,

Come to think of it, I believe he is on T-Mobile service! I didn't know that was the only carrier that supported uma, 'Unlicensed Mobile Access' (had to look it up!*) It seems like such a good idea that I wonder why other phone makers/carriers don't support it? Is it ....... money?! :rolleyes:

So, the remaining question is, 'Of all the apps like Google Voice, which ones have people here tried and what was your experience/recommendation?' I would like to use fewer voice minutes and reduce my phone bill.

* Also known as: "GAN", "Generic Access Network", "Unlicensed Mobile Access"

Last edited:
Thanks dbplumb. Looking at the Viber website they say calls are only made between Viber customers. I am looking for something closer to GAN or UMA service that might be more "seamless."

A search in iTunes for "voice over wi-fi" brought up several entries. The one that caught my eye was Media5-fone. Here is some of their features:

The Media5-fone is a softphone application that runs on Apple’s iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It is a SIP Client (softphone) that enables users to make and receive VoIP calls. VoIP calls are calls established over a Wi-Fi or 3G connection using the IP technology of the Media5-fone.

Sounds interesting to me. Has anyone tried this?

Hi mariuss,

Thanks for the report from Ireland! My cell provider, Consumer Cellular (CC) says they support VoIP calls but says this......

"Please be aware that Voice Over Internet Protocol
will use large amounts of mobile data if used off Wi Fi."

Apparently, using this kind of app gives you relatively transparent switching between wi-fi and 3G but my assumption is that all voice calls are re-routed over the data connection. And CC warns about using large amounts of data ($$$$). Since I'm trying to save money .......

Also, the basic app may be free but there seems to be the requirement for an SIP provider - and they want money! Am I chasing a mirage? Is this worthwhile?

Last edited:
I have decided for now to use Talkitone which integrates with and enhances Google Voice. I am using a seperate Google Voice telephone number which works out fine for me, once the few people I rack up air minutes with get used to using the alternate number.

I would like to encourage any additional comments, suggestions or resources for Talkatone or perhaps a better service.

-=Ken=-

Setup of an VoIP account is free but u need to top up with credit I use VoIP rider,also have unlimited data from my mobile provider soo won't be the case of using it over 3G

Btw how is that google voice ?

Hi mariuss.

I just had my first extended phone call of 32 minutes using Talkitone. It was mostly good. I had perhaps one minute of messed up voice signal shortly after engaging the call. I thought, 'Oh,oh. I wonder if this is going to be an unacceptable solution?' But once the voice data got itself back together we talked for the remainder of the 32 minutes with only an occasional noise burst. My friend has the 'Comcast Digital Voice' VoIP telephone which is usually trouble free. The sound quality was slightly better than normal cell calls IMO.

I think this is going to work OK. This guy is one of my closest friends and we have been hiking partners for 30 years. In two weeks with my new carrier the calls with him exceeded 2 hours! I'm going to save some money right here. :)

Talkatone

magic jack

Are 2 that I use when I really need to make long distance calls to the USA

And they are both free :)

I have been a "techie" since the age of 12 until now (sneaking up on 65 years) and as I have been exploring the wide range of just the VoIP technology I find there are many devices I didn't even know existed. For instance, there is a "OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge" for $40 on Amazon.com that gives the same technology as the Comcast Digital Voice service I had that cost too freaking much. It works with Google Voice service and if I had known that device existed I would have switched in a heartbeat! Free calls and pay for that box in one month's service fee! Sheesh! And, there are 759 reviews posted for it! How come I didn't even know it existed? How did it get by me??? The only reason for bringing that up is to express my consternation at the tremendous proliferation of electronic gadgetry today. How can anyone keep up with it?

Back to "Phone Calls Over Wi-Fi" ----
I am generally happy with the Talkatone app for iPhone using Google Voice (GV). However, there are some rough edges in use that have my wife saying NOT to use it with her! For instance, when someone picks up my call my voice does not come through right away. She said she answered and said 'Hello' five times before she heard my voice. She almost hung up on me. Not smooth, especially for a tech challenged wife. The minor glitches don't bother so much my tech savvy friends but unless that gets resolved the wife won't stand for it.

Any clues as to why Talkatone sessions take so long to get connected properly?

-=Ken=-

Last edited:
I learned something here. I actually thought Skype is a good idea in this conversation, but none had recommended it. I also used viber for the same reason, but got tired of it since none of my friends are in it. I have to try the Talkitone thing. =)

For some reason many of the VOIP iPhone applicants will not make the phone ring unless the phone is on and NOT in sleep mode also the application has to be up in the screen. I have missed many phone calls because of that problem.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1