What's new

New Touch Screen iPhone 5 Issue Reported

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score

MacRumors reports today that according to a new story on Recombu, reports have just emerged about a new glitch with the iPhone 5’s touch screen. According to a tweet from CMA Megacorp, which is a UK-based app developer, the glitch, which they have illustrated via the video, results in a “dropout of touch input when quickly scrolling diagonally across the screen.” In the video, they show, via the Mail app, how when you drag your fingers back and forth diagonally from the bottom right of the screen to the top left, on both the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5, the latter showed a bit of a wobble, as it were, with one of the two iPhone 5s tested dropping and then picking back up the touch input, and the other ceasing to register input at all. Both 4S units that were tested had no problem at all. MacRumors says that iMore has added in its own report on the matter that the fifth-generation iPod touch is also affected by the bug. This leads them to venture that the problem could have something to do with the new in-cell touch technology used for the iPhone 5 and iPod touch. As MacRumors notes, not a major glitch, but interesting nonetheless.

Source: Touch Recognition Issue on iPhone 5, 5th Generation iPod Touch with Rapid Diagonal Swipes - Mac Rumors

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just going to post this news, glad you got it, Maura. I hope Apple fixes this soon.

I have good news and bad news about this. First the good news.

It is NOT an iPhone 5 hardware bug. :D

Bad news is, it is an iPhone 5 specific software bug based on my initial testing after reading this article.

If you want to see what I mean, load a website that can be scrolled BUT also has the Reader button in the URL. Do exactly what they did in the video while in Safari. No issue.
Now hit the Reader button and then test. It shows the issue.

While the guys that made the video have no concept how to test a bug properly (by calling it a hardware issue), they did find something that iOS 6.1 needs to address for the iPhone 5.

Skull One said:
I have good news and bad news about this. First the good news.

It is NOT an iPhone 5 hardware bug. :D

Bad news is, it is an iPhone 5 specific software bug based on my initial testing after reading this article.

I'll take a software bug over a hardware issue any day :)

ok.... i have been having this issue since the 6.0 upgrade and just thought it was my phone. i have done a factory restore and anything else i can think of. i was literally checking here one last time before i go to the verizon store to get it checked. what do we do to get it fixed? it took me over 20 minutes to be able to get to the right menu for a factory restore. it is unusable when it does this. it is much worse when it is connected to the charger.

MacRumors reports today that according to a new story on Recombu, reports have just emerged about a new glitch with the iPhone 5’s touch screen. According to a tweet from CMA Megacorp, which is a UK-based app developer, the glitch, which they have illustrated via the video, results in a “dropout of touch input when quickly scrolling diagonally across the screen.” In the video, they show, via the Mail app, how when you drag your fingers back and forth diagonally from the bottom right of the screen to the top left, on both the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5, the latter showed a bit of a wobble, as it were, with one of the two iPhone 5s tested dropping and then picking back up the touch input, and the other ceasing to register input at all. Both 4S units that were tested had no problem at all. MacRumors says that iMore has added in its own report on the matter that the fifth-generation iPod touch is also affected by the bug. This leads them to venture that the problem could have something to do with the new in-cell touch technology used for the iPhone 5 and iPod touch. As MacRumors notes, not a major glitch, but interesting nonetheless.

Source: Touch Recognition Issue on iPhone 5, 5th Generation iPod Touch with Rapid Diagonal Swipes - Mac Rumors

Last edited by a moderator:
How would that work exactly? I don't see there being a limiter on the UIScrollView. Whoever was packing the iPhone 5 IPSW must've mistyped a character or something LOL.If it is a hardware issue, oh boy.... they're not meeting demands and they pull a fast one with a hardware issue. No 5's until Spring 2013?