What's new

New iPhone Experience - iPhone 4s case choice

gjgraphics

Reaction score
I just purchased an Otterbox Commuter Series yellow/grey case for iPhone 4s. This was chosen because of reputation and it will maintain a relatively slim form. I'll be getting my first iPhone on Wed. 8-1 and want to have it protected. I'll be using this thread to document how this case seems to work out for me and also my setup of the 4s and my first time user experience.

Comments welcomed and stay tuned for future updates.

Its really down to preference on what an owner decides to use accessory wise.

Some like to encase their iPhone in enough rubber and plastic that would protect it from a nuclear winter !

I've used bumpers both the original and case mate metal ones , lucky labs decal strips ,and sgp carbon fibre backing in the past and enjoyed what each brought to the table. I mainly used the decal strips to protect the antenna band from the inner side of the bumper !

I now go naked and put my iPhone 4s in a leather slip case whilst it's in my pocket.

I'm looking forward to reading your updates in the pro's and con's of your chosen case.

I prefer my Lifeproof case. It can get wet ie. you can swim with it if you want. It's a bit expensive at $90 but in my case, my phone was near $1,000 as I bought it straight from apple. So needless to say a $90 case is worth keeping my phone safe

Loving my ballistic hd case. Very thin and great durability and protection. Put it on almost a month ago and havent taken it off since. Most cases bore me after a week or so. I have a commuter as well and it was a nice case until the rubber got flimsy and annoying.

The title shocks me when I see the "new iPhone", it is case choice, just saying...
Well, I have took off my iPhone case and feel it is perfect in hands. The only disadvantage is the fingerprints on the it. I have to wipe it several times with t-shirt per day:D

The title shocks me when I see the "new iPhone", it is case choice, just saying...
Well, I have took off my iPhone case and feel it is perfect in hands. The only disadvantage is the fingerprints on the it. I have to wipe it several times with t-shirt per day:D

As with anything you put on the device. I guess you could use a stylus but finger prints will magically appear on the screen anyway. Life as an iPhone user I guess. We put up with it because we love them lol

first the case .... then the phone .... then the experience .... it's a process .... just saying ;)
New phone on Wed 8-1 ... one more day to go!!

Last edited:
As with anything you put on the device. I guess you could use a stylus but finger prints will magically appear on the screen anyway. Life as an iPhone user I guess. We put up with it because we love them lol

Commonly known as a "finger print magnet"

I use a small square piece of micro fibre cloth I carry in my jeans pocket.

This post is my experience with the iPhone 4s after three (3) days of use. (Others mileage may vary.)

The case:

The Otterbox Commuter case is ok. The overall fit is good but the quality control of the finish is not up to par with the reputation of the product. Since I haven't dropped the phone (and don't plan to) I can't comment on it's protective ability. Nuf said.

The iPhone 4s:

As anticipated by this former Android user the iPhone experience so far has been very good.

Setting up the iTunes and iCloud accounts was easy and the syncing between iPhone and PC via the iCloud works well. I would like to be able to have the iPhone sync to the iCloud without having to have the phone hooked up to a charging unit. But that is a small inconvienence I suppose.

It took me a short time of using the phone to get used to the one button operation for swapping between apps. I'm starting to not miss the andriod 'back' button.

When closing apps in the bottom section of the phone I've experience one annoyance. Let's say I'm hoding the phone in my right hand and using my right hand thumb to touch the X to close my open apps. When there is only one app left to close the X does not always respond to the touch of my thumb and I find I have to use a finger on my other hand to get it to close. Not sure why this is and it only seems to happen about 50% of the time.

I don't need a lot of apps yet so I've only downloaded about three. Downloading went fine with no problems. I agree with comments elsewhere that having to enter my password each time is a bother. A password manager feature or app would be useful. I understand that iOS 6 should resolve this issue.

I took a picture and it looked good. I took a short video and it also was crisp and good. Should I need to take photos or videos I feel the iPhone will meet my needs well.

I've used Siri and 'she' functions well but usefulness is not yet exceptional. Perhaps as with other features this is dependant on the needs of the user.

I don't regret not making my move to the iPhone sooner, but I definately could not have waited any longer. I believe I will not leave the iPhone platform any time soon. I give the iPhone 4s an experience rating of 95 out of 100. (Nothing is perfect and a 100 out of 100 is just not available at this time.)

Joe W.

The case:

The Otterbox Commuter case is ok. The overall fit is good but the quality control of the finish is not up to par with the reputation of the product. Since I haven't dropped the phone (and don't plan to) I can't comment on it's protective ability. Nuf said.

Do you have sharp edges by the ear piece? I had to file some plastic flash off mine so it wouldn't cut my ear. Do you have any issues with how the power button comes thru the case? I had to touch that area up as well so my power button would work reliably.

Also I've dropped mine on bar grating at work and I Think it does a good job protecting my phone. Couple of dings in the plastic but no broken iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

re: the case
the left and right sides of the hard plastic outer shell do not entirely fit into the indentations on the soft inner shell. there is an unfinished edge on the hard plastic near the volume up button and the mute button. one side of the 30 pin connector cover flap does not fully lock in place and lastly it takes a little effort to use the power button (have to press kinda hard to get it to work).

but it is a fairly slim case and fits well into my pockets and in my hand.

re: the case
the left and right sides of the hard plastic outer shell do not entirely fit into the indentations on the soft inner shell. there is an unfinished edge on the hard plastic near the volume up button and the mute button. one side of the 30 pin connector cover flap does not fully lock in place and lastly it takes a little effort to use the power button (have to press kinda hard to get it to work).

but it is a fairly slim case and fits well into my pockets and in my hand.

Yup, sounds just like the one I have. I took a sharp knife and cleaned up the power button hole up and that helped with the power button issue I was having.

i'll take a look at the power button and see if i can clean mine up. ty

I actually have the yellow and gray Otterbox case as well. I really like it. I tried the defender series case, but it was far too bulky and annoying. I feel like the one I'm currently using is much more practical. I don't have any problems with it, plus yellow and gray make for a cool looking case.

I'd give it a 9/10.

I have the grey silicone and olive drab plastic and aside from the grey getting dirty real fast I like it. The fit and finish problems I fixed myself for the most part as they were just minor issues with a little bit of extra plastic flash that needed to be cleaned off.

Now I'll see how long it takes until the dock port door falls off. It's starting to rip in one of the corners......