What's new

New 11.6-inch MacBook Air ripped to pieces, exposing proprietary parts

Mister Googlehead

Reaction score
The entire world saw the 13-inch MacBook Air exposed to the elements before it was announced on stage, but its 11.6-inch younger brother is just now getting the teardown treatment. iFixit tore the tiny machine asunder, and found even more miniature battery packs nestled in its 0.68-inch-thick frame. Like Apple's previous Air, the components here are proprietary, and the 2GB memory module's actually soldered to the board -- some tradeoffs had to be made for miniaturization, we suppose, and we can't deny the result is a beautiful machine inside and out. On the plus side, the Toshiba solid state drive seems to be modular, so there's some modest upgrade potential there if you can find a supplier of the mini-SATA boards. Still, kids -- don't try this at home.

13" is small enough, who needs anything smaller then 13"???

I am one who needs an 11". So, I bought a Sony Vaio 11" TT model. That is 1.5 yrs before ipad came out. Yes, if I have ipad, I don't need the 11" whatsoever.

I am one who needs an 11". So, I bought a Sony Vaio 11" TT model. That is 1.5 yrs before ipad came out. Yes, if I have ipad, I don't need the 11" whatsoever.

So 13" was too big for you?

damn, 11 is too small to do anything, but ppl get on just fine with smaller devices like the iphone but not for a primary way to surf the net and do your own things 11?? way too small! even the 13 inch macbook pro is annoying to multi task properly, but then the 17 screen is perfect size but feels like a brick to carry around so personally i chose 13 for mobility, i think thats the only reason why any one would go smaller and does not really multi task much with such a tiny screen, i was gonna get the 15 but the 13 ended up being the sweet spot for me..

its all down to personal taste and preference

damn, 11 is too small to do anything, but ppl get on just fine with smaller devices like the iphone but not for a primary way to surf the net and do your own things 11?? way too small! even the 13 inch macbook pro is annoying to multi task properly, but then the 17 screen is perfect size but feels like a brick to carry around so personally i chose 13 for mobility, i think thats the only reason why any one would go smaller and does not really multi task much with such a tiny screen, i was gonna get the 15 but the 13 ended up being the sweet spot for me..

its all down to personal taste and preference

I totally agree. 13" is it. Otherwise might as well use iphone.