What's new

Need an app for ordinary membership cards (NOT barcoded loyalty cards!)

TechnoBob

Reaction score
My real-life wallet is bulging with plastic membership cards of various organizations (sports and hobbies). Very seldom do I have to show these cards, but occasionally I might have to (or want to) prove that I am a member. It would be nice to have an app into which I could save -- and from which I could, of course, retrieve pictures of -- these membership cards.

Any time I go searching for such an app (assuming that it exists), I am swamped with apps that are geared toward the barcoded loyalty cards that one must maintain to get the best deals at (for example) grocery stores. I don't want to mix my hobbies in with these business-related "memberships".

The only one I've found so far was afflicted with a passion for skeuomorphic design. You know, the kind where they want to make the screen look exactly like a little hand-stitched leather wallet, with just the top edges of the (photos of the) cards peeking out of the slots in the wallet. Great. The top eighth-inch of the card does not necessarily contain the club name -- in fact, it hardly ever does. I deleted and forgot the name of that poorly-designed app.

Seems as if Passbook should allow something like this, but it too seems to be geared toward commercial enterprises (tickets, boarding passes, discount coupons).

How about just a plain old "scan and save this membership card and give me an index/TOC to let me find it again" app? Any suggestions?

Type in card organizer at the App Store. I saw a few that would do what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Aha! "Organizer"!

Hadn't thought to try that word. Yes, I see some that might work. I'll see how many I can afford to try (most aren't free) and report back.

Thanks!

I looked at dozens of "organizers" in the App Store, but very few of them are geared to collect and organize plain old membership cards. I found only one, called Card Mate, by Qiwen Zhang, that is designed to do just that. It does not try also to be a credit card saver, or a loyalty card barcode scanner, or a business card collector, or an in-the-cloud backup. You scan the front and back of each card, type whatever you like into two fields ("Name" and "Memo"), and that's it. You can password protect if you wish. Great!

My only complaint is that by default, the cards are sorted by the order they're entered. (There is a "move this card to top" button, but that is a very cumbersome way to sort a large number of cards.) When there are a lot of cards, searching for a card by looking at the pictures is not very efficient -- although I admit, that's pretty much what I do when the plastic ones are in my real wallet...

I suggested to the developer that the app should sort them by the "Name" field, which would give the user a way to control the order. I also suggested that the app should present a list of names, and the user could go to the desired card just by tapping the name. He replied (in less than 24 hours) that they are working on user-controlled card grouping and card sorting, and a more compact view for card browsing for the next version.​

Card Mate is free
, and lets you enter up to six cards. This lets you evaluate the app.
Card Mate Pro is a $2.99 upgrade, and lets you import any cards you entered in the Card Mate (free) app.

I purchased the upgrade, and am satisfied with this app so far...but I'm looking forward to the next version.

Type in card organizer at the App Store. I saw a few that would do what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

How do you use this? Most stores in my area say you cannot use an app to show your membership card....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

djqwikcut asked, "How do you use this? Most stores in my area say you cannot use an app to show your membership card..."

Sorry, djqwikcut, I think you've stumbled into the wrong discussion. As I stated in the initial post of this thread [check the thread title, or read more at #1], I was searching for an app to handle membership cards of various non-commercial organizations (e.g., social groups, sports, hobbies), not those of stores, because I don't want to mix my avocations in with business-related "memberships".

djqwikcut asked, "How do you use this? Most stores in my area say you cannot use an app to show your membership card..."

Sorry, djqwikcut, I think you've stumbled into the wrong discussion. As I stated in the initial post of this thread [check the thread title, or read more at #1], I was searching for an app to handle membership cards of various non-commercial organizations (e.g., social groups, sports, hobbies), not those of stores, because I don't want to mix my avocations in with business-related "memberships".

Ohh... I thought lemon wallet was for storing things like I mentioned. Maybe I misunderstood and maybe lemon wallet isn't what you want. X sorry

I just retread you orig post and yes I misunderstood what you wanted... It also appears lemon wallet lets toy take photos of cards to show ...