What's new

My new 16Gb or is it 27Gb

Homera1

Reaction score
Hi All,
new member here. Just got my first iphone. And love it. It is an iPhone4 running 4.2.1.

I have joined cos I love the product but also I have a strange happening on my iPhone which if true may send a few ripples out into the apple world... (or maybe not ;-) )

My iPhone4 is a 16gb but when I connect it to my windows 7 (64bit) machine and view it in explorer (which you don't seem to be able to do in XP) it shows a capacity of 27.3Gb.....

If this is correct it could imply that the memory chips are all the same size and apple zap them to be either 16gb or 32gb....

Does any one else see this? Or perhaps have an explaination of why this shows up this way?

Also looking to jailbreak when the tethered version comes out. :)

Alan

Are you sure you are looking at the iPhone? On my Win7 64bit, I show my iPhone as "Portable Devices" > "(my name)'s iPhone". Listed as Digital Camera with no capacity listed and by going into "Properties" and looking, there's no capacity listed here either. Windows can only read the "Internal Storage" of the iPhone, being the "DCIM" folder where your pictures are stored. On my 32gb iPhone is shows 11.1gb of total space available there. (iOS 4.1). On my iPod4 running iOS 4.3.b2, it doesn't show up in Explorer at all and there are over 750 pictures on it. :)

Last edited:
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I can confirm that it is most definatly my iphone. It comes under my other drives and isn't there before I plug my iPhone in, then when I do, it pops up as iPhone.
The pictures show the before and after and also the disk space.

What is odder it that as I download stuff to my iPhone the usage goes up but the total available space is going down... it now reads 26.2 (with more stuff loaded)?

Attachments

• $IMG_0092.JPG
    $IMG_0092.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,024
  • $IMG_0090.JPG
    $IMG_0090.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,026
  • $IMG_0089.JPG
    $IMG_0089.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,055
Due to the fact that apple doesn't allow the file system to be used like a memory card windows can't read the iPhone correctly. I've seen alot of people saying 32gb iPhones showing 52gb in windows.

iTunes will show the true capacity of your phone...

thanks ......

I am going to do some checking..... I am interested to see how windows sees other Apple drives. :)

anyways on with using my iPhone... I skyped my dad last night and wondered round the house showing him how the family is doing..... you gotta love it :)

It will be a formatting issue on how windows looks at the iPhone in other words how it reads the memory. I am sure some one will give you a whizz bang technical answer. The only answer is to use iTunes as it is accurate . Keep in mind a 32gb iphone, iPad, iPod iwill have around only 29gb available total. Allow 10 % loss in formatting assuming I am correct.

Last edited:
It will be a formatting issue on how windows looks at the iPhone in other words how it reads the memory. I am sure some one will give you a whizz bang technical answer. The only answer is to use iTunes as it is accurate . Keep in mind a 32gb iphone, iPad, iPod iwill have around only 29gb available total. Allow 10 % loss in formatting

Didn't know thats where it went to. Thanks...

The following is a more technical explanation of normal hard drives. It is confusing to say the least and a known fact. It gets more complex with solid state drives so I believe the issue is the way the windows 7 64bit os is looking at the iPhone.

Advertised vs. Actual

Since consumers don't think in base 2 mathematics, manufacturers decided to rate most drive capacities based on the standard base 10 numbers we are all familiar with. Therefore, one Megabyte equals one million bytes while one Gigabyte equals one billion bytes. This isn't too much of a problem with fairly small numbers such as a Kilobyte, but each level of increase in the prefix also increased the total discrepancy of the actual space compared to the advertised space.

Here is a quick reference to show the amount that the actual values differ compared to the advertised for each common referenced value:

Megabyte Difference = 48,576 Bytes
Gigabyte Difference = 73,741,824 Bytes
Terabyte Difference = 99,511,627,776 Bytes
Based on this, for each Gigabyte that a drive manufacturer claims, they are over reporting the amount of disk space by 73,741,824 Bytes or roughly 70.3 MB of disk space. So, if a manufacturer advertises an 80 GB (80 billion bytes) hard drive, the actual disk space is around 74.5 GB of space, roughly 7% less than what they advertise.

Now, this isn't true for all the drives and storage media on the market. This is where consumers have to be careful. Most hard drives are reported based on the advertised values where a Gigabyte is one billion bytes. On the other hand, most flash media storage is based around the actual memory amounts. So a 512MB memory card has exactly 512 MB of data capacity. I

I don't intend to go further with this as I do not have the exact description but I think those of you reading this follow my drift ..... Cheers from Australia

Last edited:
Ahh. Binary. I remember my computing teacher telling me this:

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who dont. Took me a while to figure it out. Lol...