What's new

My iPhone 5S (iOS 10.3.3 - 16Mb) is completely full

Alberto Flores

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

My iPhone 5S (iOS 10.3.3 - 16Mb) is completely full and so, it isn't working well. I have lots and lots of pictures and videos stored in it that I want to send to the free Google Cloud Photos app, and hope that they are deleted from the iPhone as soon as they are stored in the cloud, openig space on my phone
How I manage to do this?
I appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Flores

After installing the Google Photos app, and signing in with your account, you’ll have to select this:
C21D3DFA-D8FB-45F9-8C35-8742EF7D700A.jpeg

To get to it’s settings. On the next screen, tap the settings icon:
24A18CBE-EC56-4A7A-8FD5-A4CC395DDFFE.jpeg

Then select Backup & sync:
D8B218C7-1FCC-46E9-850B-C9196D79820F.jpeg

and enable Backup & sync there.
C0FF9D33-7D2E-4655-9369-5DD3F468D6D3.jpeg

As soon as you open Google Photos, it will start loading the images from your Photos app (more exactly: in the Photos or Albums tab). When you remove an image from Google Photos that’s still in your Photos app, it will also be removed from the built in Photos app.
The first time you do that, you’ll get something like this:
4318216B-B47C-4CA4-8EB9-1D18171BBBD8.jpeg

The photos will be removed from Google Photos and the built in Photos app, which means they will be gone forever, in case you don’t undo that afterwards.

If you turn on Background App Refresh for Google Photos in your iPhone’s settings, the images will load to Google Photos in the background, as soon as the app finds new images in the Photos app.
What you still will have to do after the pictures have been uploaded to Google Photos, is to remove the images manually from the built in Photos app, though.

Hope that helps.

Hi l did the same as you. Maybe J.A. Can explain how you put a photo back into the photo app should you wish to send it.
I do not believe it's possible with photos that are stored in the Google Photos Library.
She can do it far better than me for sure :)

Oh wow, thanks for the tip since l've been using it, l always copied the photos back. After l have used it, then deleted it again.
You saved me that job, many thanks.

Hello J.A.,
Thanks for your amazing help, but now I have another annoying problem.
My iPhone 5S is so full, that I can't even take pictures, and also not able to delete any pictures stored in the phone.
The bin symbol doesn't even appears.
Don't know what to do.
Sorry for my English.

Cheers,
Flores
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Did you import these images to your iPhone via iTunes? If so, the only option to remove them is to connect your iPhone to the computer where the photos are stored, deselect them on the computer in iTunes, and sync this to your iPhone.

Here's another idea, suggested by @brixtonboy:

Open the Settings app, go to General
IMG_0929.JPG

and select About
IMG_0930.JPG

Here, you'll find the number of images stored on your iPhone, storage space capacity and storage space available.
IMG_0931.JPG

If possible, tell us how many photos there are on your device, and how much storage space is left, or post a screenshot, so that we can see ourselves.
Hopefully that will also help us assisting with your problem.