What's new

Moving from Android to iPhone - Gmail Question

Heathy54

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a currently an Android phone user and am considering a move to an iPhone4.

One very good thing with my Android phone is it's integration with Gmail (there's a surprise!).

So I have some questions regarding what I should expect with an iPhone4.

What I want is this (i.e. what I get with my Android).
  • Gmail emails pushed out to my phone instantly (no timed retreival interval).
  • Complete sync of any of my Gmail folders (inc sent folder) between phone and Gmail (pc) web interface
  • Instant sync of my Gmail contacts (so no importing / manual sync required). i.e. I add a contact to my phone and it instantly appears in Gmail contacts on PC web interface, and if I add a contact to Gmail contacts via my PC it instantly appears on my phone.
Any comments appreciated.

Cheers Ian

do not know about GMail, but it seems to work fine with my yahoo mail.
just curious, why the switch?

dan

Gmail won't push unless it is setup thru MobileMe. That's $99/year and I don't thing it's going to work as well or as easy as googlemail on a google phone.... Unless you have a premium google account that does support push... Then it works just like MS Exchange(this is what I use) that works great!

dan

Do your contacts sync with Yahoo Mail?

Regarding me switching, I have a HTC Hero and just don't find it as slick as my mates iPhone 3 (it's just a but clunky and not as responsive either in my view).

But the main reason that's making me seriously NOT consider just upgrading to a later Android phone like the HTC Desire is the seeming widespread issue with these phones losing their 3G data connectivity and not recovering (reconnecting) when back in a good reception area. The Android forums seem to be full of load of people with this issue across a wide range of (mainly) HTC phones and as far as I can tell HTC & Google don't seem to be doing anything about it at all.

Cheers Ian

Gmail won't push unless it is setup thru MobileMe. That's $99/year and I don't thing it's going to work as well or as easy as googlemail on a google phone.... Unless you have a premium google account that does support push... Then it works just like MS Exchange(this is what I use) that works great!

Thank for the information.

So what's the story with Gmail contacts?

BTW, I don't have a premium account with Google.

Cheers Ian

When you setup the mail account it will ask you what you want synced contacts,calendars,mail.

I came from a moto droid to iPhone 4.

I was using my gmail account as my main email account so wondered the same things as you when jumping ships.

I'm happy to say for me personally it works exactly the same. I just followed these instructions from Google and away I went...

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

Took a bit of playing around with to get it set up right but now my iPhone picks up my Gmail quicker then my Droid did.

dan

Do your contacts sync with Yahoo Mail?

Regarding me switching, I have a HTC Hero and just don't find it as slick as my mates iPhone 3 (it's just a but clunky and not as responsive either in my view).

But the main reason that's making me seriously NOT consider just upgrading to a later Android phone like the HTC Desire is the seeming widespread issue with these phones losing their 3G data connectivity and not recovering (reconnecting) when back in a good reception area. The Android forums seem to be full of load of people with this issue across a wide range of (mainly) HTC phones and as far as I can tell HTC & Google don't seem to be doing anything about it at all.

Cheers Ian

That sucks my old phone was like that. Would lose 3G and I would have to restart my phone to get it back. Drove me up the wall. You won't have any problems with iPhone in those regards.

Going to have to try the last persons link there. I use gmail mostly but I guess not to the level some of you do.

I came from a moto droid to iPhone 4.

I was using my gmail account as my main email account so wondered the same things as you when jumping ships.

I'm happy to say for me personally it works exactly the same. I just followed these instructions from Google and away I went...

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

Took a bit of playing around with to get it set up right but now my iPhone picks up my Gmail quicker then my Droid did.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to be clear, your contacts sync automatically too, in addition to mail (bothways)?

Also are you a 'normal' GMail user (i.e. not a paying/premium/business user)?

Cheers Ian

Yes I just entered a random number on my phone, saved it as 'test'. Then went to google mail, checked contacts and there it was. Then deleted it within gmail, checked contacts again on my phone and 'test' was gone.

Yup i'm a bog standard Gmail user.

I came from a Droid to an iPhone and had the same issue. My Gmail wouldn't push. I'll look for the instructions, but if you search you'll find out how to setup gmail as an exchange server. It will sync contacts, calendars, and instant push email. I've been using it for 3 weeks like this and it works perfectly.

I came from a Droid to an iPhone and had the same issue. My Gmail wouldn't push. I'll look for the instructions, but if you search you'll find out how to setup gmail as an exchange server. It will sync contacts, calendars, and instant push email. I've been using it for 3 weeks like this and it works perfectly.

I posted the link on the previous page.

good help here. I'll be sure to use this trick when I get my iPhone.

Thanx guys

This is a great topic!! I am going to be switching from an android phone to an iphone as well. Will this sync procedure work for the task list in g-mail accounts also?

FWIW, my reasons for switching are very similar to the guy w/ the Hero....I have a Samsung Moment and the thing constantly looses signal. Considering I live in Chicago, I can assume it's the phone's fault. The signal should be very prevalent. Furthermore, the sound quality out of most Android phones is sub par at best. You don't notice with the generic headphones that come with the phone but if you invest in some high end cans, you get a rude awakening. I trust the iPhone since it evolved from the iPod. My five year old iPod sounds better than my nine month old smartphone which is supposed to be able to be used as a media player!

Android has some great features but it's just not there yet...