What's new

Minimum age for kids to be using an iPhone

ImNotADweeb

Reaction score
What do you think is the minimum age for kids to be using an iPhone/iPad? Is it okay for a 5 year old to be using them? Your comments are appreciated!

The easiest way to base this response is... how old does your child need to be to use a computer. I believe it's safe to allow a 5 y/o to use a computer and/or iDevice... as long as they are being properly supervised. Mainly for the sake of your electronic equipment. As we all know how quickly small children can destroy things. LOL!! As far as being unsupervised goes... that solely depends on the maturity level and trust you place within your child. My oldest daughter will be 10 this December... and I'm going to allow her to have an iPhone for Christmas. However, it will be CLOSELY monitored for usage, content and purchases.

My 18 month old can use a iPhone and iPad. He can unlock, scroll pages to find his apps, open them, and then close them when he wants to change. He knows the home button will lose the app. He has been using them both for several months. He gets better all the time. He watches us is it and he learns quickly.

I don't think it's a matter of the proper age for the device, only the proper age for the content they'll be exposed to. In a decade we'll be strapping iDevices to our newborn babies, heh.