What's new

Microsoft's 'Word Flow' is a Swype-like Keyboard Alternative for the iPhone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ms-wordflow-for-iphone.jpg

Here's an intriguing Microsoft project that might be worth checking out for iPhone users. The folks in Redmond are working on a Swype-like keyboard alternative for the iPhone. It's called Word Flow, and it is going into beta testing right now.

For folks who haven't tried alternative keyboards like Swype, what differentiates them from your typical smartphone keyboard is that you don't have to individually type each character of a word. The predictive engine built into the software is typically very good and figuring out which word you are trying to type if you simply slide your finger directly from letter to letter as you spell out the word.

Swype is a brand that is typically considered the de facto standard when it comes to this type of technology, although there are other very good alternatives too. We aren't sure why Microsoft wants to get in on this game, but we respect them for branching out. Also, Microsoft has included some unique customization options to stand out from the crowd.

Here's a link to where you can sign up to test their new Word Flow keyboard app for your iPhone: Register to Download Word Flow for iPhone.

Be sure to check out the video demo in the thread below.

Anxiously awaiting my invite. I've used the Word Flow keyboard on my Lumia (last device) and loved it. It was very accurate and a breeze to use, so I cannot wait to have it on my iPhone. Thanks for the heads up!!

I'll try it, although I've discovered I dislike having multiple keyboards on my iPhone. I find that I accidentally hit that World Globe button all the time and have to cycle through the different keyboards.