What's new

Merriam-Webster Dictionary with Voice Search Comes to iPhone

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Merriam-Webster.jpg

Merriam-Webster today launched its own free, ad-supported iPhone dictionary app featuring voice search, which is the first for a free iPhone dictionary app. Voice search capabilities for the app are powered by Nuance Communications’ renowned Dragon voice recognition technology, and enable you to look up a word simply by speaking it directly into your iPhone.

"Voice search is an example of the kind of innovation that Merriam-Webster has been bringing to the dictionary business for more than 150 years," says President and Publisher John M. Morse. "And with the mobile platform being the fastest growing part of our business, we're pleased to bring our content to wherever our audience happens to be."

Aside from voice search, the free app offers over 225,000 definitions from Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary and 300,000 synonyms and antonyms from Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Thesaurus. Additional features include the popular Word of the Day feature, example sentences, audio pronunciations, reader view and recent look-up history.

Click here to download the free app: Merriam-Webster Dictionary for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Merriam-Webster

Maura,

I always look forward to your app info.

Thanks once again!

Thanks!

Thank you, thank you & thank you.
I have at least 4 dictionary apps on my phone, two of them I have bought, but that Merriam-Webster one beats them all. What a joy to use. Cheers