What's new

May Return my 4S Due to Battery Life

OK, so I did that. Rebooted then unplugged around 10:15pm or so. No use overnight... At 630am, I was at 90%. I check my overnight emails on the way into work, and here at 8am it's at 81%. The Usage stats:
Usage: 1hr 7min
Standby: 9hr 48min

Let me know what you think.

Thank you VERY MUCH for this info. I think I have a working theory now with this info and some other anecdotal evidence I have read about. And it would explain a great deal why some people are affected and others aren't.

I believe that the version of iOS 5 for the iPhone 4S is in fact different from the one you install on the iPhone 4 even though they have the same version #.

It is possible that the phone is no longer properly going into sleep mode and the CPU is constantly being clocked at 800 Mhz instead of sleeping at say 200Mhz or so. This theory fits your two night test. The reboot cleared the condition and discharged at the expected rate.

Now I have to figure out what app, function or condition is creating the issue.

Of course I could be dead wrong on this theory. But this is the first theory that fits all the conditions I am seeing.

SKULL ONE - here is something I noticed just today, if I let the phone go to sleep via timer (one minute) all is well, if i use button to put to sleep (screen) it seems to take way more juice from battery while sitting at my desk doing nothing..bluetooth/wifi off network on..but not using phone at all went from 96-89% in about 30 minutes (pushing button)...let sit for one hour after letting time out and still at 89%...

SKULL ONE - here is something I noticed just today, if I let the phone go to sleep via timer (one minute) all is well, if i use button to put to sleep (screen) it seems to take way more juice from battery while sitting at my desk doing nothing..bluetooth/wifi off network on..but not using phone at all went from 96-89% in about 30 minutes (pushing button)...let sit for one hour after letting time out and still at 89%...

OH this I gotta test. And it fits with my current working theory.

Thanks!

This is my first smartphone EVER...so I'm only picking up about 1/2 of what you guys are referring to so far. ;)
I have my Bluetooth and Wifi off, but everything else is on. My usage today from last full charge says-- Usage- 3 hours 53 minutes, Standby 1 day 0 hours, 31% battery left.

I can't remember how I let/put my phone to sleep when observing last night/this morning, but I will say that I use the button quite a bit.

Thank you VERY MUCH for this info. I think I have a working theory now with this info and some other anecdotal evidence I have read about. And it would explain a great deal why some people are affected and others aren't.

I believe that the version of iOS 5 for the iPhone 4S is in fact different from the one you install on the iPhone 4 even though they have the same version #.

It is possible that the phone is no longer properly going into sleep mode and the CPU is constantly being clocked at 800 Mhz instead of sleeping at say 200Mhz or so. This theory fits your two night test. The reboot cleared the condition and discharged at the expected rate.

Now I have to figure out what app, function or condition is creating the issue.

Of course I could be dead wrong on this theory. But this is the first theory that fits all the conditions I am seeing.

No problem. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Definitely interested in what you find.

And for what it's worth... updated stats (currently at 45%):
Usage: 2hrs 50min
Standby: 16hrs 49min

OK...getting ready to plug in.
current stats since last full charge- usage-5 hours 8 minutes, standby- 1 day 4 hours, battery at 10%.
This is the lowest I've let it go..granted I've only had it 4 days now.

Coming from a phone with many days of battery life...it's not as good, but it's about what I was expecting truthfully. Those number sound reasonable thus far?

Last edited:
Update on mine

Attachments

• $image-556232797.jpg
    $image-556232797.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 375
Update on mine

I would say it's hard to compare if the phone has been plugged in since the last full charge, as it charges thru the USB from the computor too. That would obviously add to your battery life.

eddieg said:
Cant go by those stats cuz you had it plugged in since last full charge.

+1. You may have just synced your phone, or docked it and forgot. You'll get your real stats after you fully charge your iPhone and then take a screenshot after x amount of time.

Here you are, hope this solve your problem:

"However, over the weekend, fixes have been circulating on web forums and the Apple store staff member was able finally to fix the problem.
"It was to do with Location Services constantly checking my location especially for the Time Zone," he said.
He was able to solve the problem by switching everything off in the Location Services > System Services menu except for Cell Network Search. His phone now lasts "pretty much the whole day".

Read more: iPhone 4S battery life issues

iPhone 4S battery life issues

What i did was backed up my stuff. Then just reseted my hole device but didn't restore it. I did every thing manually and turned of a lot of the push notifications and location services. Did it with Siri to since i live in canada and she cant help me that much anyways with directions.

Then decided to test it out and see how the battery is going to run. So from about 85% played jus music for a hole hour along with some light texting got down to about 78% and thought ok not bad. Then music with internet browsing mind you I'm playing music on speaker and lost about 13% maybe a bit more from 77%.

Now I've jus been face-booking and internet browsing for the past 2hours and I'm down to 49% i think the battery is doing a lot better over all I'm pretty happy for now. They need to fix this thou because there are a lot of thongs i turned of jus to get a better battery life