Loud honk on the other end of call when I turn on speakerphone

mr coffeee

New Member
I have an iphone SE (old version) that works perfectly except it makes a loud sound I can't hear, but the caller on the other end can. It makes the sound when I switch my phone to speakerphone each and every time, but also after several minutes on the phone with someone, and I haven't been able to figure out the stimulus for those occurrences.

The sound reminds me of a short honk of a car horn or a buzzer, and is about 1/2 second in duration. Does the SE not like the latest iOS update, or is this a hardware issue. My friends complain it is REALLY LOUD if they are holding the phone up to their ear!!
 
You don’t have any geese nearby by any chance? :) Seriously, have you tried switching on speakerphone when you know you are in a quiet place. Background noise can get amplified.
 
I have tried switching to speakerphone in a very quiet room, no difference.

The weird thing is I don't hear a thing on my end, just whomever I'm talking to.

It doesn't sound like acoustic feedback (when I've called my wife's phone so I could hear what people were hearing and complaining about}.

The sound has an abrupt start and ends equally abruptly. Sounds like it is full amplitude for the sound channel. Really loud.

Anyone else ever experienced this?
 
Turns out it was hardware - the audio chip in the phone was dying. In case anyone finds this thread with a similar symptom.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top