What's new

Lost the Ring and Alert Tones

mistraltony

Reaction score
I have suddenly lost the ring tone and alert tones. The vibrate works ok but all I get is a green "Accept" or red "Decline" button when someone calls - no sounds!

I have gone to Settings - Sounds, This is the current configuration. Silent - Vibrate = OFF. Ringer and Alerts = Volume full, change with buttons =ON. Vibrate =ON. Ringtone =Set to ringtone of my choice.

I have tried various computations of turning off vibrate, etc nothing works. I even tried General - Reset. Still no ringtones. The ringtones and the alerts workfine when tested independantly but dont work when anyonyone calls me - the vibrate does work when someone call but sounds remain silent.

I will be very grateful for someone's help please!

I have suddenly lost the ring tone and alert tones. The vibrate works ok but all I get is a green "Accept" or red "Decline" button when someone calls - no sounds!

I have gone to Settings - Sounds, This is the current configuration. Silent - Vibrate = OFF. Ringer and Alerts = Volume full, change with buttons =ON. Vibrate =ON. Ringtone =Set to ringtone of my choice.

I have tried various computations of turning off vibrate, etc nothing works. I even tried General - Reset. Still no ringtones. The ringtones and the alerts workfine when tested independantly but dont work when anyonyone calls me - the vibrate does work when someone call but sounds remain silent.

I will be very grateful for someone's help please!
have you tried a hard reset? that will probably sort it.

Sorry but what is a hard reset. I tried the standard reset option?

Sorry but what is a hard reset. I tried the standard reset option?
hold your on/off button and home button down at the same time until you see the apple,let go and the phone will reboot,let me know if this fixes it.

Tried that but makes no difference I am afraid. When I first had the phone I dont recall having the Accept and Decline buttons dont know if they are what is causing the problem?

Tried that but makes no difference I am afraid. When I first had the phone I dont recall having the Accept and Decline buttons dont know if they are what is causing the problem?
is iphone4 or 4s,i ask because if its 4s it will still be under warranty,might be a case of checking it out with Apple,hang in though,someone may know the answer.

No afraid not I bought it at Manchester Airport and live now in Portugal but I will try and mail them to see best plan of action. Thanks anyway. I really appreciate it.

No afraid not I bought it at Manchester Airport and live now in Portugal but I will try and mail them to see best plan of action. Thanks anyway. I really appreciate it.
youre very welcome,i,ll keep looking to see how its going,someone may help yet.

With your iPhone 4S came a set of headphones. If you plug them in and call your phone, they should play sound thru them. Would you be so kind and test that and post the results?

And the Accept/Decline buttons only show when you have the screen on. Otherwise if the phone is in standby you will get the lock slicker to answer.

Hi Skull

Thanks for trying to help!

I tried the headphones in but no call alert on them either. My prefered ring tone does work manually through them so I know they are working ok.

Eddieg wins the prize!!!

Guys I didn't even know there WAS a mute swich on the side of the phone! It is so small and recessed into the body of the phone it doesnt even look like a switch, particularly with aged eyes!!! How it has got switched off beats me!

Anyway a special thanks to all three of you that have given your time to help me. I really appreciate it. Brilliant forum!