What's new

JB'd 4S -Do I Need To Prevent The Update?

SterlingRex

Reaction score
Hiya, Folks. It is my understanding tbat when your jailbroken iPhone is updated to IO5.1, jailbreak features will be lost and it will become impossible to revert back once Apple stops supporting the previous version. Im curious (and concerned) as to whether I must take steps to block the update to 5.1. Will my carrier try to push it to my phone (I figure as much), and will my phone install it automatically? Is there a setting or tweak to prevent this?
Thanks, all!

My understanding is that there is no trickery - you have to consciously accept any updates. However, you can get the free Cydia tweak called "No Update" that will prevent your phone from searching for any over-the-air updates. Again, more peace of mind than anything, but, now harm in it.

In iTunes, it will remind you that there is an upgrade, which you can cancel. in addition, in the reminder pop-up is a box you can check to tell iTunes not to remind you again. It'll still show on the main screen that there's an update, but it would take you deliberately pressing it to start the upgrade.

So, there are ways to prevent "accidental" upgrades. Hope some of this helps.

Marilyn