What's new

iTunes is changing my playlists!!!

Reaction score
I'm freakin pissed right now! I had started a small playlist from my itunes account and synced it with my phone, then after that I just keep adding to it from my phone 1)because I rarely ever get on my computer and 2)because I even more rarely sync my phone with itunes because I do everything from my phone. So it would be more like updating my computer rather than updating my phone. Anyways, I just synced my phone to my iTunes and it cut my playlist down to what I had originally created. And I have no way of knowing what the playlist was and what songs specifically were in it! Is there a way to get it back? You can't tell me that Apple has all the technology in the world that they have, yet they didn't think to include a feature or an option to keep whichever device was most recently updated or modified the same, and to change the other device.

as far as I know there is not a option to do what your asking. Honestly I have never run into the problem. For me personally when I add to a playlist from my phone I will go later and while holding the phone in my hand I will look at the new songs and create a new updated playlist on my macbook. since your holding the phone you can see the name and artist. Also this will allow you to create a new playlist while still keeping your original smaller playlist unchanged in your itunes. I know this isnt the answer your looking for but maybe will help in the future...💀

I'm freakin pissed right now! I had started a small playlist from my itunes account and synced it with my phone, then after that I just keep adding to it from my phone 1)because I rarely ever get on my computer and 2)because I even more rarely sync my phone with itunes because I do everything from my phone. So it would be more like updating my computer rather than updating my phone. Anyways, I just synced my phone to my iTunes and it cut my playlist down to what I had originally created. And I have no way of knowing what the playlist was and what songs specifically were in it! Is there a way to get it back? You can't tell me that Apple has all the technology in the world that they have, yet they didn't think to include a feature or an option to keep whichever device was most recently updated or modified the same, and to change the other device.

Wow, this is very good question. So when you synced iTunes it synced your playlist back to what it saw it as, not as you had it in your iPhone, correct?

I would think that iTunes should update the playlist it has. If you purchase new music it shows up on iTunes right? And probably without even syncing. So maybe it thinks it's fixing your playlist.

I thought that iTunes also would update your iPHone with apps you deleted after it was synced but that turned out not to be true, it simply removes it as an app for your device. So if it can do that, why not add songs to a playlist?

Well, obviously I don't have an answer for you I just think it's a good question. Personally I update any playlist on iTunes first so I have never had this issue. I recently changed computers and had to redo all my playlists, that was because of the way I did it not iTunes fault. I redid a 200 plus play list and added to it as I went along in about half an hour. For now I just suggest you drag the songs that are missing into the playlist on iTunes and sync. Hopefully someone else has a better answer then I do.

I have had this happen as well so I know your pain. I have not tried it but does any one know if you can select to backup your phone before a sync would per say bypass that issue?

Talked to apple and the guy said the only fix he knows of is to delete the playlist from your computer before you sync, so that when you sync, it will add the playlist back to your computer with the updated playlist.