What's new

iTunes "Back Up Now" button greyed out

wolnavi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I do my iTunes backup daily but today, out of the blue, both the "Back Up Now" and "Restore Backup" button are greyed out... The storage is also uncategorized... Please have a look at this image:

KavN8Ct.png

I tried to:

1. Restart PC
2. Force restart iPhone
3. Uninstall iTunes completely and reinstall by following this guide...
4. Tried the iTunes.exe /setPrefInt DeviceBackupsDisabled 0 CMD command
5. Tried on 2 different Windows 10 laptops
6. Tried different lightning cables for both laptops and my desktop

I tried contacting Apple Support but they told me to visit them so their technician could check on the device, but I just wanna know if anyone else has any other methods I could try before bringing it down...

Thank you

Last edited:
According to your screenshot you’re doing iCloud backups, not iTunes backups. How much free iCloud storage do you have? If there’s not enough you won’t be able to do an iCloud backup.

According to your screenshot you’re doing iCloud backups, not iTunes backups. How much free iCloud storage do you have? If there’s not enough you won’t be able to do an iCloud backup.

I know, but I could always do iTunes backup even when I have iCloud backup selected... Only yesterday onwards I can't backup anymore (grey backup button)...

Does changing iCloud to This Computer make any difference

According to the iTunes description, yes

For iCloud option, it says "most important data" whereas "This Computer" option states "full backup"

If I open up my iCloud storage, my "Backups" is 11.5 GB whereas my in my PC, the iTunes backup folder is ~190 GB... (and I only backup 1 iPhone to this PC)

But in reality, idk, what do you guys think?

iCloud backups only backup the most important data such as your keychain, notes, etc. I would make it a habit to backup to your PC regularly to make sure the bulk of your phone is preserved.

If you’re someone who doesn’t really like using iTunes, then you could always use iMazing for backups to PC. Admittedly it’s not a free PC program, but it does a lot more besides.
I use it to transfer music from my PC to my iDevices as well. Having said that I do backup to iCloud as well, you can never have too many backups [emoji6]

iCloud backups only backup the most important data such as your keychain, notes, etc. I would make it a habit to backup to your PC regularly to make sure the bulk of your phone is preserved.

That is what i'm trying to do but thats the problem here, I can't backup to iTunes anymore...

If you’re someone who doesn’t really like using iTunes, then you could always use iMazing for backups to PC. Admittedly it’s not a free PC program, but it does a lot more besides.
I use it to transfer music from my PC to my iDevices as well. Having said that I do backup to iCloud as well, you can never have too many backups [emoji6]

I prefer using the original software hahaha
And i'm using CopyTrans for "syncing" my music from PC to iPhone, it's free

What options do you have enabled/ticked when you scroll down on the same screen

Maybe there’s something wrong with iTunes. If you have a Windows computer have you tried deleting and reinstalling iTunes? This will not affect anything in the iTunes library on your computer.

What options do you have enabled/ticked when you scroll down on the same screen

Here you go
wkIWyLN.png

Maybe there’s something wrong with iTunes. If you have a Windows computer have you tried deleting and reinstalling iTunes? This will not affect anything in the iTunes library on your computer.
Yes I did reinstall, tried on another 2 different Windows laptop and tried another 2 different lightning cables... Still the same...

What happens when you select “This Computer” instead of iCloud? Is it still the same?