What's new

Is Apple Planning to Introduce Wireless Charging?

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
8272-iphone-5-white.JPG

A while back there were lots of rumours floating around that Apple would soon be introducing wireless charging for its devices. Then, when nothing happened in that direction, the rumours quietened down somewhat. Now, though, iDownload Blog reports that DigiTimes has written that Apple is indeed planning to introduce induction charging for its “flagship” smartphones in 2013. Apparently, Apple will not be using the Qi inductive charging system, the standard developed by the Wireless Power Consortium, but rather, has instead developed its own wireless charging system. DigiTimes went on to say that it has heard that Apple is “likely” to start using this wireless charging technology, but there is no word as yet as to whether the next iPhone will have built-in wireless charging, or if it will be packaged with a wireless charging accessory. DigiTimes also said that Samsung is also going to launch a wireless charging system with its 2013 range of smartphones. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Apple wireless charging rumors abound again

Apple isn't using a standard?? ;) lol!

Regardless, maybe Apple will include the wireless charger in the box. That's something that nobody else does (that I'm aware of).

I used a powermat for a while. Loved the idea and ease of just sitting a phone down on a pad for it to charge, but the case was flimsy and got on my nerves. It'd definitely be nice to see wireless charging. There's a few Android devices that offer wireless charging (via the qi standard). Works pretty well from what I hear!

Would the wireless charging still work on a phone if it were in an otterbox defender or similar case?

Would the wireless charging still work on a phone if it were in an otterbox defender or similar case?

Most cases work just fine with Qi wireless.

I thought that Apple's stance on wireless charging was that the charging pad still needed to be plugged in, and so they saw no real advantage to it.

The iPhone 5 is so thin to begin with, and with the 5s coming with most likely the same form factor - I doubt there is enough room in there for the coils. But, what do I know.....