What's new

Iphone5 sound quality issues

kojolaing

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I upgraded to iphone 5 and was lucky enough to get one on launch date, a white 64GB on the three network.
After about a week I noticed the sound output from the headphone socket didn't seem to be as loud as my iPhone 4 was. I noticed the difference again in my car via the aux input. I then did a simple comparison with a friends iphone 4S, played the same song on max volume through a set of portable speakers, and the difference is quite stark. Not just loudness, but the sound quality coming from the iPhone 4S was much better than my 5. And yes, both had EQ settings off and no volume limits applied... I was so concerned that I took my 5 to the genius bar, and they gave me a new one without asking too many questions. Unfortunately, the new one is exactly the same... sound quality and volume are less than my old iPhone 4 and a friends iPhone 4S...
Has anyone noticed this? perhaps this is how the new phone is made - or have I been given another faulty one?

I have the 16 G, my first iPhone so I have no comparison. Volume seems fine on mine and I dare not ramp all the way up if I want to keep my eardrums intact. If I were you .. I would take it back from where you bought it and demonstrate the issue. You should get a replacement. Fortunately these are so new and the sooner you do it, less likely to get stuck with a refurbished.

I will attempt to take it back to a three store this week. Like I said, I'm already on my second one - apple replaced my first one without verifying what I said with the sound. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this difference at all...?

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I upgraded to iphone 5 and was lucky enough to get one on launch date, a white 64GB on the three network.
After about a week I noticed the sound output from the headphone socket didn't seem to be as loud as my iPhone 4 was. I noticed the difference again in my car via the aux input. I then did a simple comparison with a friends iphone 4S, played the same song on max volume through a set of portable speakers, and the difference is quite stark. Not just loudness, but the sound quality coming from the iPhone 4S was much better than my 5. And yes, both had EQ settings off and no volume limits applied... I was so concerned that I took my 5 to the genius bar, and they gave me a new one without asking too many questions. Unfortunately, the new one is exactly the same... sound quality and volume are less than my old iPhone 4 and a friends iPhone 4S...
Has anyone noticed this? perhaps this is how the new phone is made - or have I been given another faulty one?

Hi I too have noticed this!! I tested on my old 4s and iPad 2 and think they both gave out much better sound than my i5 so just thought it might be normal ? Using the i5 earbuds the 4s and iPad 2 sound from them hurt my ears but the i5 not as good poor if u ask me but any luck or any feed back from your last posts would be great I'm interested to know if you got a second phone and it worked better if not can we say this is the iPhones 5 sound and won't get any better? Thanks ray