What's new

iPhone Users Launch Lawsuits Against Apple for Slowing Down Old Phones

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Lawsuit after Apple admits to slowing down older iPhones.JPG

Following Appleā€™s admission yesterday that it has used power management features to improve battery performance and avoid surprise shutdowns for some older iPhones, MacRumors reports that two California-based iPhone owners have served Apple with a class-action lawsuit.

According to the original report on TMZ, two people from Los Angeles, Stefan Bogdanovich and Dakota Speas, who are both represented by Wilshire Law Firm, have filed a lawsuit with the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in which they allege that Apple deliberately slowed down their iPhones when newer models were released.
ā€œDefendant breached the implied contracts it made with Plaintiffs and Class Members by purposefully slowing down older iPhone models when new models come out and by failing to properly disclose that at the time of that the parties entered into an agreement.ā€

The two plaintiffs have owned several older iPhones and said that they had noticed that they slowed down when new iPhone models were released, and that they didnā€™t get a chance to consent to this.

Source: Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models'

It seems as if the plaintiffs and their lawyers didn't bother to read Apple's explanation of why they implemented the power management features on older iPhones with degraded batteries; the plaintiffs were apparently too busy heading straight for a lawyer's office to sue Apple.

Last edited:

Following Appleā€™s admission yesterday that it has used power management features to improve battery performance and avoid surprise shutdowns for some older iPhones, MacRumors reports that two California-based iPhone owners have served Apple with a class-action lawsuit.

According to the original report on TMZ, two people from Los Angeles, Stefan Bogdanovich and Dakota Speas, who are both represented by Wilshire Law Firm, have filed a lawsuit with the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in which they allege that Apple deliberately slowed down their iPhones when newer models were released.

The two plaintiffs have owned several older iPhones and said that they had noticed that they slowed down when new iPhone models were released, and that they didnā€™t get a chance to consent to this.

Source: Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models'
Thatā€™s great my mom iPhone 7 has slowness down when I gave it to her

It seems as if the plaintiffs and their lawyers didn't bother to read Apple's explanation of why they implemented the power management features on older iPhones with degraded batteries; the plaintiffs were apparently too busy heading straight for a lawyer's office to sue Apple.

They aren't concerned about phone performance, just those quick $$ from what they only see as a fat (rich) mark. Sad world...

There no slowdown on my iPhone 7 and itā€™s always on the latest beta version of iOS.
IMG_9425.JPG

People just want something to complain about... no one is suing Samsung for their devices slowing down after about a month or two use... just another way for the haters to hate

People just want something to complain about... no one is suing Samsung for their devices slowing down after about a month or two use... just another way for the haters to hate
They're in it solely for the money they figure they can squeeze out of Apple. Who's right or wrong has nothing to do with it.

Just goes to show how litigious the Americans are. Their legal firm must be rubbing their hands together in glee. Either way they make money. Doesn't anybody bother to read the EULA before pressing "I Agree" after all you don't HAVE TO update, its the users choice. It's only logical that running the newest software on an old device may cause some issues. The current iOS was designed to take advantage of the new hardware features of the iPhone X. So it may run on say an iPhone 6 but it will never be ideal.

Donā€™t know about all the big words youā€™re using there, Apple can take care of themselves lā€™m sure. Many of the features due run on the earlier iPhones as it happens. Not on my 5s so l didnā€™t update. Do users have a choice yes your correct l get pestered by Apple to update. It gets on my nerves.
I ā€˜m happy to stay with l have. Would love the Security updates though as l have said before.

There must be something really wrong with people like this out there.
Hope this backfired and they get to pay the lawyer themselves and stand with empty pockets when this is over.
Maybe Apple should offer a downgrade to a older software for those that want to get rid of this function in the software and wants a phone that shuts off at half battery.

Last edited: