What's new

Iphone photos and scans - heic to jpg/resize and share

Plnr

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to fill out the SOS tracking app that Japan requires for visitors. A very familiar problem has emerged. The camera app takes only heic files and moreover won't let me resize them to share with the SOS app. Or, at least, I don't know how to do it. This is an an issue I'd like to find a solution to. The ideal process would go as follows:

I take an image (scan/photo) on my iphone
Next, I get to resize the image and resolution and select the format accordingly- jpg, png etc.
I then share the image to whichever app I choose. Or the photo is available for upload from another app - e.g. right now I'd like to be able to upload an appropriately sized jpg to SOS.

Does anyone know of a solution other than download to your laptop and work on the images there.

Thanks!

The fastest and most straightforward way to convert HEIC to JPEG is directly from the phone. You don't have to download anything or worry about using a third-party app. By simply copying the photos and pasting them into your iPhone's Files app, your device will automatically convert HEIC to JPEG.

Thanks, that's a helpful start. How then to resize as wish?

The desire is for a workflow that enables an image to be taken and processed as required for further action without having to cut and paste or download and upload again. It seems such an obvious use-case. Am I missing some obvious work-around here?

Thanks, that's a helpful start. How then to resize as wish?

The desire is for a workflow that enables an image to be taken and processed as required for further action without having to cut and paste or download and upload again. It seems such an obvious use-case. Am I missing some obvious work-around here?
I think you would need a third party App for your requirements.

Thanks very much for the link!

I've been using Image Size for 9 years. Works great for me. And the developer is really nice and helpful.

Hi, thanks for that. It doesn't seem to offer a straightforward option to simply reduce pixel size and keep format dimensions in line with original. I haven't really given it a good look, however, so probably just need to spend a bit more time with it.

Hi, thanks for that. It doesn't seem to offer a straightforward option to simply reduce pixel size and keep format dimensions in line with original. I haven't really given it a good look, however, so probably just need to spend a bit more time with it.

Image Size does just that. I've been using it for 9 years. You can change the resolution, and keep the aspect ratio the same. When you change the resolution, you have to change both width and height by the same amount, to keep the same aspect ratio.