What's new

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Brought in More Users to iOS from Android than any other iPhone Before

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
iphone 6 6 plus android switchers.jpg

Apple has had an amazing first quarter of its 2015 fiscal year, managing to sell 74.5 million iPhone units, an amazing new record. During the conference call, Tim Cook has released some interesting new details. according to him, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus managed to bring more users to iOS from Android than any other iPhone before.

He said that only a “small fraction” of the installed iPhone base has upgraded to a new iPhone, which means the majority of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are new to iPhone, including many Android users, as well. Apple's boss said:

“I would point out that only a small fraction of the installed base has upgraded, so there’s a lot more people within the installed base, but I would also point out that we had the highest number of customers new to iPhone last quarter than in any prior launch.

And also that the current iPhone lineup experienced the highest Android switcher rate in any of the last three launches in any of the three previous years[iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S]. We didn’t look back to the other years, I don’t know about those.”

At this point, just shortly after the quarter, we don’t have all of our research in from all of the people that bought last quarter yet.

But in the aggregate, as I’ve mentioned before, we saw more new customers to iPhone than we’d ever seen before, and we had a higher rate of Android switchers than we had in the three previous launches, and it’s not that we had more in the fourth one, it’s that I don’t know what those numbers are. And so between the switchers and the people that are just new to smartphones and selected an iPhone, and our upgrades, which we’re very happy with but represent a small fraction of our installed base, we feel really great about what’s in front of us.”

Tim Cook didn't reveal the sales split between the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, but he did confirm that the iPhone 6 was the most popular device.

Source: Apple

You have to look at the iPhone 6 and 6 plus sales figures with the knowledge that they're skewed by the fact of a severe shortage of the iPhone 6 plus at launch and for some time afterwards. The 6 plus undoubtedly would have had a significantly higher proportion of total sales if the supply had been sufficient to meet demand. I'm sure there are iPhone 6 owners out there who may very well have bought the 6 plus had it been available in sufficient quantity.