What's new

iPhone 5 first time charge time

Reaction score
For Christmas (yeah, sorry, I know it's ages away) I am getting an iPhone 5, and I was wondering, how long do you have to charge the mobile phone for the first time, I am not lazy, as I have looked lots on the internet, but many many people are saying that you're not supposed to charge it longer than 100% on the first charge, but others say that if you don't charge it for, oh, I don't know, lets say between 12-24 hours more than 100% the first time then you won't get the full battery useage out of it.
I am more tempted to believe the people that say you have to charge it longer than the 100%, due to my mum's iPhone5, she bought one and she only charged it to the 100% the first time, and now her battery, using it full time, non-stop would only last around 2 hours and a half, and all that's doing is; Facebook, internet surfing, games, and general phone-using. Hardly anything, maybe sometimes a bit longer than that. Anyway, on Apple UK's website, they say that the iPhone 5 lasts 8hours on the internet, which isn't applicable for my mum's phone. I don't understand why Apple just don't put on a leaflet that comes with the iPhone its-self how long you should charge it for the first time, I'm sure 85%+ people have this question when they've bought, or are going to, an iPhone, thanks for helping everyone, much appreciated.

You can't overcharge your iPhone. It's safe to leave it plugged in for as long as you want.

Dear Scifan57, I understand that this is safe, I just don't know how long to charge it for! Thanks in regards

Dear Scifan57, I understand that this is safe, I just don't know how long to charge it for! Thanks in regards
iPhones are fully charged when they leave the factory. If your phone hasn't spent too much time in transit, it should have a charge somewhere between 80-90%. A couple of hours would then be more than enough time to bring it up to 100%.

Some people do say that when it reaches 100%, your supposed to charge it 2 to 4 to 6 to 12 to 24 hours longer, and if you don't need to, could you explain my mother's situation? Thanks.

Last edited:
Use your eyes. When the entire battery is full and green, you're good to go. You can never overcharge your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. IMO.

Your mums phone is either defective or she uses the heck out of it. Her battery usage has nothing to do with how long she charged it when she got it. You are wayyy overananalyzing this. Get the phone, enjoy it for the day, and then charge it overnight when you go to bed.

Your mums phone is either defective or she uses the heck out of it. Her battery usage has nothing to do with how long she charged it when she got it. You are wayyy overananalyzing this. Get the phone, enjoy it for the day, and then charge it overnight when you go to bed.
You are so 100% correct - most people are way overanalysing the whole battery issue, and forget to enjoy the phone.... use it, enjoy it and charge it at night - connect it and take charger off next day - under normal use it will easily last for the day. People are so into batteries and battery issues, that they forget to enjoy the phone....and don't even compare the phone with any other make... the pros and cons are there, but for example, my son's Galaxy S4 need to be charged TWICE a day and my wife's iPhone5 only every second day - but their usage are so different.... you can't say the one is better than the other.....My advice: enjoy your phone and don't compare.....

My iphone 5 was charged about 86% out of the box, i didn't even bother charging it until it ran down and i have no problems with the battery.