What's new

iOS 4 Battery Questions Arise

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPod-touch.jpg

PCWorld has an interesting story today about iOS 4's possibly excessive demands on iPhone and iPod touch batteries. Many iPhone 3GS and iPod touch owners (including myself!) who have upgraded to iOS 4 have noticed that their battery is draining much faster than previously since they installed iOS 4. PCWorld says that some users are even reporting that their battery life has been slashed in half. Some have blamed multitasking for draining the extra power, but this can't be so as users with devices such as earlier iPod touches that don't support multitasking are still experiencing the mysterious power drain.

PCWorld trawled the Apple tech support forums for more information on the topic and found that Apple has been suggesting a full restore as a solution to some people. There have also been reports that it might be something to do with the "always-on" Wi-Fi connection, so its possible that switching off Wi-Fi on your iPhone or iPod touch overnight, or enabling Airplane Mode, might do the trick. There's also the possibility that the rumoured iOS 4.0.1 fix might address the issue. Stay tuned, as Steve Jobs would say!

By Maura Sutton
Source: iOS 4 Eats Your Battery! | Talk iPhone - iPhone News Blog and Forums

I can also confirm this with my iPhone 3G. Not only does it lose reception, freeze but the battery drains with a blink of an eye.