What's new

I want to factory reset trusted device iphone x

Ok here is an option...

You will need to verify that your current phone number is listed as a trusted phone number in your account.

So, after you reset your device and you are going through the set assistant you will get to the part where it will ask you how you want to set up the device. You can select set up as a new device... it will then ask for your Apple ID... you select “don’t have one”... then once on the screen that is offering you to create an Apple ID there is a small link that states “set up later in settings” this will allow you to bypass the adding an Apple ID part and get the phone activated so you can receive phone calls and texts. Then you can go to settings and sign in to your Apple ID with the code being sent by text or a phone call.
Surely the phone will recognise that it’s own number is not a secondary device?

carlonineM, how exactly the apple id recognizes the trusted devices. I mean if its by serial number, that would mean that resseting the phone wont affect that so it will recognize it again? Or whats the recognise method the apple id used (credentials or what)?

That will probably be a very secure handshake only known by Apple.

Honestly, to ease your mind, why don’t you give Apple a call and explain your situation to them. They most likely will have the best answer for you for what to do in this situation. If you do call them, please let us know here what the outcome was, so we can help others in the future may the same situation arise again. Thanks! [emoji2]

Stanleymac - you said you had two factor authentication on your previous device on your old ID. If you have set up a new ID, then you should still be in a position simply not to set up 2 Factor authentication with the new ID, or am I missing something.

Last edited:
carolineM i bought iphone 7 Plus back in december 2016, i used it for couple of months and due to financial issues i had to sell it and switch to android. Back then i had apple id which is long forgotten since i reseted the device back and sold it. But i remember clearly that the two factor verification was happening soley thru mobile number because i had tried back then to alog in from different device with the same pin card and ti worked simply by sending me 6 digit code on my phone number. Also two factor verification was easily turned off from the managment page. I bought iphone 10 and Now it doesnt. And two factor authentication is ON from the moment i apply my phone number and there is no way of turning it off since if i want to remove my number it request to add another one in order to countine with deleting the prvious one.
It seems they've change that ever since certain IOS Update 10.something. Now the trusted device and the number combined seem to become the authentication and you cant simply swap card or thats to my understanding.

mattguy10 well i am from Bulgaria, the situation here is bit complicated since they only have an office in the captial, or thats what i find in the web. They have number and i already called it- Its seems they dont support bulgarian help so they say they will redirect me to english operator, or that i shoud some some link to apple that will allow me to ask question on something like petition and eventually they will contact me somehow (it becomes dark here), so when i countine with the call it asks me for problems with :
Ipad press 1
Computers press 2
Other Apple device 3
Whatever i press it starts some long announcment on english on some new apple policy and nothing happens after that, It seem there are still not well introduced to my country, hopefully they will be in future. It puts me on hold but thats it

Last edited:
Well at this point it seems i wont reset the device, i eamn i planned to do it from security issues (and bit of paranoia) but i can pass without that. However it will be good if we are able to clear this out becuase i somehow doubt that there would be no way to do it. Another thing that came to my mind is to DELETE my iphone from trusted devices (i can do that from the apple managment page through safari browser), but i am not sure what will happen next.
Another option is that from my security settings on my phone i can get a verification number that i could use to log from another device (the device gives it to me directly from settings) so if i do that and write down the code, reset the device (around 5 minutes probably) and try to log it may work unless its somehow expired. I would love to try but the risk to big..

You might get away with your first suggestion, but verification codes do not last more than half a minute.

Anyways at this point i cleared up my mind and i wont factory reset the device. there is no real reason apart from my paranoia that i told you about when i swapped sim cards. Today i replaced my personal phone number sim card with brand new one. I just to make 100% sure retyped my same number after the sim card swaps and i got verification of the number just for peace of mind. Now i tried to call apple once again today before i went to change the cards and still i was put on hold since they are probably conneting me to another county. But thats it i quit the resetting to factory option for now. It just doesnt worth the risk. Thanks for your support, if all is fine i will be around with other apple- related questions. :) Take care.

By the way on security qutestion here since i dont want to open a whole thread about- thats only for curiosity- once i change the password of an apple id, are all devices that are currently logged in logged out or you have to do this manually?

They are not logged out. You have to change the password on every device manually, if that’s what you want to know.

No i meant, lets say you have concerns that someone is logged to your apple id from somewhere. You change your password thats what everyone advice you to. But how to make sure that if someone is logged in he will be logged out. For example on facebook when you change your password it asks you if you want to logg out from anywhere else, does it work the same on apple id or it follows different mechanism :)

Yea kinda of hard for me to understand. Here is a scenario, lets say i logg to apple from a device and forget to sign out (now i dont plan to do that, just for example). From this point what do i need to do to secure that only my trusted device/devics are logged in. What i believe i should do is change password, that go to apple id.com and check what devices are curently loggeed, and if i see a device that is not supposed to be there how can kick it out. Thats a good security knoladge that i need to know. :)

If you go to settings - your name is at the top - tap that and you will see a list of devices that are signed in under your name. If there is a device that is not yours, you will know there’s an intruder.