What's new

I Phone 5 Scratched, Info Please

bigjord

Reaction score
So the day i recieved my i phone 5 i put it straight into a otterbox defender case as im protective of my phones.
So a month goes by and im browsing the net for i phone 5 news and come across this scuffgate thing, where people are complaining of scratches to the aluminium outer on the i phone 5 black/slate so i take mine out of the otterbox for the first time since i had it, btw i got the phone 17th feb 2013, i take the i phone out of the box to find that myn has similar markings, a nick in the aluminium on the lower of the volume button and a pretty big dent with scratch about 5mm to the left of the headphone socket, (looks asthough been dropped as the silver has come through. I want the phone replacing with a new immaculate one as i should not have a phone whats got defects on. i cant send back to the company i am under contract with as its after 14 days, but i heard if you take to a apple store they will replace your defect one with a new one? (the phone functionality is perfect but i dont want these scratches on it) they look pretty bad and the one by the socket looks like it took a drop on something hard. Any thoughts or info please.

Based in England

there are also a few more minor blemishes but not as distinctive as the 2 mentioned.
i should not have a new phone what is already damaged its breaking some sort of trading law it has to be.

Your only option is to take it to an Apple store and see what they say about it.

Unfortunately, though... they probably won't do anything for you since you've already had the phone for almost a month. It's different when you've had it for 1 day... as opposed to almost 30.

i did manage to speak to a woman from apple and she told me to take it to a apple store and they will replace it, i jus thought someone would shed more light on what my options are

I hope you get your new phone. I'm in a similar situation.

I bought a brand new car and less than a month later I discover three tiny chips on the front bumper. I put a bra on it because I wanted to protect it but when I took it off I saw the small paint defect. I always leave the bra on but still, this is ridiculous. I'm going to demand that Ford give me another new car. No one should have to deal with such atrocities this is 2013!

These giant blood sucking companies should be sued for false advertisement. Their TV ads show brand new undamaged products but we end up with scratched stuff. I think this has to be violating some sort of trade agreement. There is no way on earth anyone should have a scratched product. I mean I know scratches happen, but come on...we deserve new products if ours are clearly so inoperable. I can't be seen in public with this.

Edit- add:

/sarcasm

Last edited:
Here's my perspective... you buy an iPhone, or a new car, open the box and put it in your pocket, or drive it off the lot, you scratch it... it's your problem.

It's different if you notice a scratch while the rep. is unboxing it, or going over the leather interior & chrome wheels. The it's on the company selling you the product.

A month later?!? Please....

i did manage to speak to a woman from apple and she told me to take it to a apple store and they will replace it, i jus thought someone would shed more light on what my options are

That's good to hear :) At least she's from Apple and you know you're going to get a new one

Here's my perspective... you buy an iPhone, or a new car, open the box and put it in your pocket, or drive it off the lot, you scratch it... it's your problem.

It's different if you notice a scratch while the rep. is unboxing it, or going over the leather interior & chrome wheels. The it's on the company selling you the product.

A month later?!? Please....

Is it me or dont you read posts properly, i put the phone straight into a otterbox defender case as soon as i got it, 1 month later i browsed the net to find this scuffgate thing where alot of black/slate i phone 5's are coming with chips, scratches dents etc. so i thought i would check myn so i took it out of the otter box and mine was the same, chips dents scratches. so in reply to your 1 month please comment, yeh 1 month, how was i meant to know these phones come with scratches and dents on. it dont say it when i took the contract out, i phone 5 16gb + free scratches and dents.? ok

Is it me or dont you read posts properly, i put the phone straight into a otterbox defender case as soon as i got it, 1 month later i browsed the net to find this scuffgate thing where alot of black/slate i phone 5's are coming with chips, scratches dents etc. so i thought i would check myn so i took it out of the otter box and mine was the same, chips dents scratches. so in reply to your 1 month please comment, yeh 1 month, how was i meant to know these phones come with scratches and dents on. it dont say it when i took the contract out, i phone 5 16gb + free scratches and dents.? ok

Did you look at it at all before you put it into the otter box ? If it was not damaged before, then you should be talking to otter box not apple.

here's my take,you really should have examined the phone properly when it came out of the box even if you knew nothing about "scuffgate", i personally go over everything i buy with a fine tooth comb,if i find anything wrong back it goes,you're lucky Apple is going to change it for you,check over the replacement in store and make sure you are happy with it before accepting it.

Last edited:
Agreeing here. When I got my iPhone I examined it before it went in a case. All was well. I did notice a few small scuffs a few weeks later that I attributed to possible movement or dust in the case. I didn't take it back though because its still in a case and no one sees it.

If you didn't check it before casing it then yes you are lucky they are replacing it for you.

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

I read all your posts properly, yes. As the 3 replies directly above state... it's important to check any new product as it comes out of the box for defects. I wasn't implying that it's your fault the blemishes are present... only that Apple could, and still can, very easily tell you that the grace period for blemish replacement has passed.

The Apple employee you spoke w/ on the phone... did she give you a services or work order # for the replacement of your phone? If not, you'll be starting over fresh w/ the Genius' @ the Apple store.