What's new

I got my iPhone 5 for Xmas! Is it broken already?

Matchstickman

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and happy I have found a place to help me, in return I hope to be able to help you all too in my future post.
I got my new iPhone 5 for Christmas and the home button does not seem to work? It worked fine cmas day then since then it seems to be sticking. I have not spilt anything on it so am unsure why? Is there anything I can do without taking it back to the store as I've already set it all up and have won some free apps and don't want to lose them all!

Thank you for your help in advance.

Everyone should use it!

Your welcome (although I'm sure everyone must know about this site already but it's here for those who don't know)

Moderator edit: removed external link...

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing you can do personally is order the special screwdriver bit to open the phone and see if some foreign object managed to make it in the switch area. Something the size of a grain of sand can cause this problem.

With millions of iPhones churning out of the factory, a small percentage will have problems or issues. Sorry to hear your new phone is having problems. Good luck.

Also, you won't loose any apps purchased if you have to get a new replacement phone. If you get a new replacement, just use the same apple ID you used on the broken phone and all your paid apps be available for free to download.

Last edited:
Welcome to our forums. I would take it to an Apple store please do not open up the phone yourself as it will void the warranty

Col.bris ,Administrator
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If Apple determines that your problem is covered under the warranty, they'll issue you a replacement on the spot. Before going to the AppleStore make a backup of your iPhone, when you bring the replacement home you can set it up from the backup you made. You won't lose anything.

Too bad about the Home Button issue. As Col. wrote, take it back somewhere, soon, perhaps even to the place where it was purchased. The Home Button issue is written about much too often -- I have an issue with it myself. Don't know if Apple is listening, but again, the percentage of these issues is prob pretty small.

Agreeing with the above. Take it to your local apple store or back to where you bought it! Good luck!

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

they make so many phone its easy to have a issue.

We had to return one off the office phones. I walked in got 5 of them. 4 of them worked like they should but one had no signal. it would work on wifi and call but the data didnt work.. i called sprint and went threw all the steps to "fix" it and nothing happend.. then called apple and was one the phone for 12 days and 9000 hours and it didnt fix it. they said to ship it back which i did and they sent a new next day.. this one seem to be working fine. for what a phone cost if your dont renew the plan its nothing trying to fix.. have them replace it.. sorta like having a car under warranty, let them worry about it.

I know it's been said but for goodness sake ignore the advice about opening it up,i can't stress that enough,take it to an Apple store,that's good advice.

If you get your phone to store for repair, probably they will replace your phone. They won't repair it.

Nirocolus said:
If you get your phone to store for repair, probably they will replace your phone. They won't repair it.

They do repair phones, just not to order. Broken phones are returned to the factory for repair and are then sold as refurbished units. This is why you'll see members recommending that any phone taken to an Apple store be backed up first, just in case it's replaced.