What's new

[how to:] use your iphone on straight talk pre-paid ($45 unlimited plan)

maka

Reaction score
:iphone4vert: Straight Talk : "Unlimited" everything plan, for $45/month. It includes talk,text, and web with 3G data. 3G data does work on all iphones because it uses AT&T bands which you can use the sim in any AT&T phone or any unlocked GSM phone such as T-Mobile.

About Straight Talk data:
There has been a rumor that there is a 2GB data cap. I would not recommend tethering from your phone. 2GB should be fine for the average person and more than enough if you do not browse the internet much. Beats paying an extra $10 like T-mobile or $20+ like AT&T

Does this require an unlock?
Straight Talk is on AT&T's network. They are more of a sister carrier and do not require an unlock. It will activate your phone from the start so no need for Hactivation.

Data speed?
You can get anywhere from 1mbps - 3mbps depending on your location. Like stated it works off of AT&T towers so your getting the same speed as them.

How to get Straight Talk ?
You can purchase a Straight Talk sim card on the Welcome To Straight Talk website for only $15 and get the minutes for $45 (totaled to $60 shipped). It is a kit that comes with a serial number so you don't have to worry about them knowing you have an iphone.

How can I pay for my minutes?
at Walmart they sell prepaid cards, Credit/Debit card payments, or most local gas stations.

How easy is it to switch over or activate?
If your planning on starting from scratch then its straight forward. It will take 3-5 days for your sim card and minutes to arrive. If your contract is up with your carrier then just call Straight Talk and they will transfer over everything for you. If not then after everything is done you will have to pay a cancellation fee which personally it is worth it if your with AT&T or spending over $100 a month. T-Mobile and AT&T should go over fairly smoothly. Although within the first few hours your sim card might be able to send calls or texts I would recommend using your old sim card until the process is completely through which will take about a full 24 hours. I had the problem that I couldn't receive calls it was going to my T-Mobile phone which I had to use for that time.

What you will need:

-iphone device

-Straight Talk sim card thats activated

-jailbreak (you will need to do this in order to get your MMS and data fully working)

- you will need to purchase the tetherme app in cydia in order to add a custom APN or if you are currently using a T-Mobile sim card then the Cellular Data Network options should be there and you will not have to purchase any app, just change the settings

-wi-fi connection ( if you only want to get the internet working and do not want to jailbreak)

step 1:
Place the sim card in the phone and allow it to connect to the network. It should automatically activate any iphone if you have a brand new phone or fresh IOS install. You should now be able to send and receive calls and texts fine. (NOT MMS TEXT MEANING MULTI-MEDIA MESSAGING WHICH INCLUDES PICS)

step 2: Skip this step if you want working MMS
connect to wifi and go to your iphones safari (internet) and type in the URL
unlock.co.nz follow through with the change APN and select Straight Talk and install the Profile

step 3: For all the people who want MMS and are jailbroken
you must have your iphone jailbroken and install tetherme. It will cost $4.99 or you can download any app that you wish that will allow you to change your APN. Tetherme is what I have used and it works 100%. Once installed go to your Settings > General> Network > Cellular Data Network and type these into the fields

Cellular Data
APN: att.mvno
Username: (leave blank)
Password: (leave blank)

skip the Visual Voicemail

MMS APN: att.mvno
Username: Password: MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
MMS Max Size: 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL:

Now everything should be working, your 3G data and you can send picture messages!!! $45 a month thats it

Oh I guess I didn't search right and I figured it would have been in this forum. Lol what a waist of a half hour. :(.

Oh I guess I didn't search right and I figured it would have been in this forum. Lol what a waist of a half hour. :(.

It can't hurt to have two:) Since they are in different sections, this could be a good thing:)

It can't hurt to have two:) Since they are in different sections, this could be a good thing:)
Thanks for making something positive. My wife was mad because I wouldnt get up from the laptop do I could finish.