What's new

How safe it is to use Password manager or Password keeper applications for smartphone

pankaj.tr97

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently downloaded an application for iPhone5 that named as "Keeper" (more precisely- Password Keeper). It is used to keep your confidential information safely on the device such as your bank details, passwords, ids, credit card details etc. It can be accessed by the owner of the device only as it is itself protected by a password.

I would like to know how safe it is to use such application to keep your sensitive information within it? Since these application are from third party, so it may be possible for the application to extract confidential information saved inside it and share it with application developer or other person over internet without knowledge of the user.
Please suggest if such applications are safe to keep confidential information or not. As I would like to use them since it is very hard to remember many passwords and manage them.

Thank you!

I use Splash ID. I guess I use it just to keep track of my passwords etc. The protection of the program is just to keep the prying eyes out. If someone really wants that info they will get it. If there is something really confidential, I wouldn't keep it on my phone. Probably write it on a piece of paper and put in my wallet. LOL. Mark

Yeah I agree with Mark, I wouldn't put anything more than some passwords. Nothing extreme like your bank account pins and your information for all of those. Since they are from a third party I would be extra paranoid in case something happened to the extent of which a hacker of some sort got in, and managed to collect everyone's information. But I'm not sure if that's possible with such apps.

I don't even worry about bank acct numbers, CC numbers or pins. Again, that info is out there am can be hacked from a number of places. How many accounts do we have that are attached to credit cards or bank accounts? PayPal, Amazon, eBay etc. I think diligence in paying attention to your account balances and credit report is far more beneficial in protecting yourself. The exposure is minimal if someone swipes your credit card and charges some stuff. The big hitter is is someone truly steals your identity and hijacks everything. I believe a credit monitoring service is essential. As for the password safe - my biggest worry is to remember to put the new ones in.