What's new

How do I tell what causes my iPhone to crash

tt417

Reaction score
I have had my iPhone crash often since jailbreaking it when evasi0n7 came out. I have been able to sort out what was causing the crash everytime usually a package installed from cydia. I can't figure what is causing my phone to crash this time though, on the home screen when I pull down the search bar, type what I'm looking for then hit search my phone resprings into cydia substrate safe-mode. I can figure out what is causing it. I've been wondering is there an app that I can download from cydia to find the cause of any crash? I've tried installing crash reporter and syslogd but I don't know how to figure out what causes the crash from the crash report. All I can figure out from the crash report is that SpringBoard crashed. Help!

thanks in advance

Last edited:
If possible, install AppInfo through Cydia, then export and paste the list here. As a supplement, open up Settings.app > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage and look for a "Panic.plist" that also includes the date and time of the crash in the title, and paste that here as well.

For future posts, it would also help to include the device, i.e. iPhone 4, 5, etc

Ok sorry i meant to add I have an iphone 4 7.0.4

heres the list:
Sources
BigBoss
http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/dists/stable

Control- - MyRepoSpace.com
Control-'s Repository - MyRepoSpace.com

Cydia/Telesphoreo
http://apt.saurik.com/dists/ios/847.21

CydiaHacks
http://repo.cydiahacks.com/

ModMyi.com

http://apt.modmyi.com/dists/stable

PWN24K - MyRepoSpace.com
PWN24K's Repository - MyRepoSpace.com

ZodTTD & MacCiti
http://cydia.zodttd.com/repo/cydia/dists/stable

Packages
7-zip (POSIX) - 4.57-3p
AppInfo - 1.5
AppList - 1.5.6
APR (/usr/lib) - 1.3.3-2
APT 0.7 (apt-key) - 0.7.25.3-3
APT 0.7 HTTPS Method - 0.7.25.3-3
APT 0.7 Strict - 0.7.25.3-6
APT 0.7 Strict (lib) - 0.7.25.3-11
AudioExplorer - 1.6.1
Base Structure - 1-4
Berkeley DB - 4.6.21-4p
BigBoss Icon Set - 1.0
Bourne-Again SHell - 4.0.17-13
bzip2 - 1.0.5-7
CCSettings - 0.0.2-18
Core Utilities - 8.12-12p
Core Utilities (/bin) - 8.12-7p
Crash Reporter - 0.2g-1
cURL - 7.33.0-8
Cydia Installer - 1.1.9
Cydia Substrate - 0.9.5000
Cydia Translations - 1.1.8.1
Darwin Tools - 1-4
Debian Packager - 1.14.25-9
Debian Utilities - 3.3.3ubuntu1-1p
Diff Utilities - 2.8.1-6
diskdev-cmds - 421.7-4
Erica Utilities - 1:0.4.2
evasi0n 7.x Untether - 0.2
Find Utilities - 4.2.33-6
GNU Privacy Guard - 1.4.8-4
Gremlin Framework - 3.0.2-1
Gremlin Plugin Pack - 1.6-1
gzip - 1.6-7
HiddenSBSettings for iOS 7 - 1.1-4
Icy - 1.4.3
iFile - 2.0.1-1
iOS 6 Complete for iOS 7 - 1.2
iOS Firmware - 7.0.4
IPA Installer - 3.20
IPA Installer Console - 2.2-1
iPhone Firmware (/sbin) - 0-1
iPhone4Parallax - 1
libhide - 2.3
LZMA Utils - 4.32.7-4
MobileTerminal - 520-2
New Curses - 5.7-12
OpenBackup - 2.0.4
OpenSSL - 0.9.8y-10
PAM (Apple) - 32.1-3
PAM Modules - 36.1-4
pcre - 8.30-5p
pincrush - 0.9.2-1
PreferenceLoader - 2.2.2
Profile Directory - 0-2
readline - 6.0-7
ResetAllKiller - 1.0.0-3
RocketBootstrap - 1.0
shell-cmds - 118-6
Software Update Killer - 1.0.2
SwipeSelection - 1.3.2-8
SwitchSpring - 1.0
syslogd to /var/log/syslog - 1.0.2586-2
system-cmds - 433.4-12
Tape Archive - 1.19-8
UIKit Tools - 1.1.8
unrar - 3.6.8-2p
unzip - 5.52-5p
WinterBoard - 0.9.3911
zip - 2.32-5p

The only issue I can see on the list provided is Icy. AFAIK, it hasn't been updated in ages since Rock and Installer were still fair players along with Cydia

Ok I removed Icy it didnt help. And since icy is outdated im wondering if there are any ohter package managers that work offline to uninstall and install already downloaded packages. I would also like it to be as light weight as possible because my iphone 4 is slow which is why i used icy instead of cydia. also to my original question is there an app to tell what packages cause things to crash? Ive also attached the log files from crash reporter because i have no idea which one to upload from settings.

View attachment $Crash Logs.zip

Ok I removed Icy it didnt help. And since icy is outdated im wondering if there are any ohter package managers that work offline to uninstall and install already downloaded packages. I would also like it to be as light weight as possible because my iphone 4 is slow which is why i used icy instead of cydia. also to my original question is there an app to tell what packages cause things to crash? Ive also attached the log files from crash reporter because i have no idea which one to upload from settings.

View attachment 14517

Cydia allows for offline uninstallation of packages. iFile allows for offline installation of packages. The logs are difficult to read since it does not retain the formatting.

Cydia doesnt uninstall packages offline it says no network connection. you can add package to uninstall queue but when you hit the conform button it just say no network connection. and also i have the free version of ifile i dont have the full version i cant find how to uninstall packages is it a full version only feature?

Cydia doesnt uninstall packages offline it says no network connection. you can add package to uninstall queue but when you hit the conform button it just say no network connection. and also i have the free version of ifile i dont have the full version i cant find how to uninstall packages is it a full version only feature?

You can most definitely uninstall packages on Cydia offline. Otherwise, Safe Mode would be useless. Head to Manage > Packages (or Installed for iPads) and look for the installed package. Tap on them, then tap on the top right to Modify, then Remove. There should be no requirement for any data connection to uninstall. You can even do it in Airplane mode.

Installation through iFile is available on the trial version as well. Tap on the debian package, and choose Installer. 9 out of 10 packages you install will require a respring, so respring after installing a deb.

You can most definitely uninstall packages on Cydia offline. Otherwise, Safe Mode would be useless. Head to Manage > Packages (or Installed for iPads) and look for the installed package. Tap on them, then tap on the top right to Modify, then Remove. There should be no requirement for any data connection to uninstall. You can even do it in Airplane mode.

Installation through iFile is available on the trial version as well. Tap on the debian package, and choose Installer. 9 out of 10 packages you install will require a respring, so respring after installing a deb.

It show network error: i open cydia choose manage>packages>packagetouninstall>modify>remove>confirm and here what i get: $IMG_0004.jpg
It goes to reloading data instantly without doing anything.
When my phone went to safe mode i still could connect to the internet so how would it make safe mode useless

Also I want a faster alternative because cydia runs very slow on my iphone 4. and to my original question is there a app to find reasons of crashes(I resolved the search bar issue it was winterboard better wait for it to be updated for ios 7)

Thanks for all the help so far

Open up MobileTerminal and run the following commands

1. apt-get remove Cydia
  2. apt-get install Cydia

Respring or reboot afterwards

Open up MobileTerminal and run the following commands

1. apt-get remove Cydia
  2. apt-get install Cydia

Respring or reboot afterwards
ok so how will reinstalling cydia help? It was slow since i jailbroke, my iphone is just old. I also need a way to manage packages offline. the ios 6 version di support offline uninstalls but the new ios 7 one apparently doesn't. And how do i tell what causes crashes i still want an answer:)

Reinstalling replaces a fresh copy of Cydia onto your device. If you're getting connectivity issues even when you're offline, then there's something wrong with your cache or your device, because Cydia allows for offline uninstallation of packages.

From your package sources, I'm assuming a bunch of your tweaks are not from the original repos. Delete those, respring, and see if that resolves the issue.

After I jailbreak with (win 8.1 pro) my device i.e. IP-5s... I cannot upgrade anything like Cydia, Mobile Substrate or Anything ... Getting some error while refreshing my device. I removed utrasn0w.repo still facing the same issue.. Even I re jailbreak with windows 7 but problem still occur.. If i install some app it gives error SIZE MISMATCH Please help me in this regard..

errors :
Failed to fetch
http://apt.saurik.com/dists/ios/847.21/Release.gpg
Host Unreachable

Failed to fetch
http://apt.saurik.com/.../main/i18n/translation-en_IN.bz2 Cached Failure

Failed to fetch
http://apt.saurik.com/...//binary-iphoneos-arm/Packages.gz Cached Failure

Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead

<enclosed pic>

Attachments

• $photo.jpg
    $photo.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 547