What's new

How do I have some calls ring tone on while the rest are silent?

gigman7

Reaction score
I want to have people like my parents ring tone to actually ring at night while all other calls are on vibrate in case of emergency. How do I do this?

Use DO not Disturb. Set who you want to be able to call. I think that means making your parents Favorites in Contacts. Also tell them if they get no answer to immediately call back as the phone lets they those callers too.

Use DO not Disturb. Set who you want to be able to call. I think that means making your parents Favorites in Contacts. Also tell them if they get no answer to immediately call back as the phone lets they those callers too.
Where would I find this "DO not Disturb"?

If I understand what the OP wants, Do Not Disturb isn't going to satisfy his needs. He wants all calls to vibrate, but then only allow calls from specific people to ring. Doesn't Do Not Disturb only allow calls from an allowed group and silence the rest?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

If I understand what the OP wants, Do Not Disturb isn't going to satisfy his needs. He wants all calls to vibrate, but then only allow calls from specific people to ring. Doesn't Do Not Disturb only allow calls from an allowed group and silence the rest?

In that case there's likely no solution available to a stock iPhone.

Yep! I don't think there's a way to do that, unless there's 3rd party app for it.

There is one way he could accomplish the desired affect, but it would require a lot of work. Use a ringtone maker app and make a silent ringtone, then apply that ringtone to the people he doesn't want to have the phone ring and only a vibration. It's not a perfect solution, but would come a lot closer to what I perceive his desire to be.

In that case he'd have to change the ringtone to the silent one every night, and switch to a different one every morning.

In that case he'd have to change the ringtone to the silent one every night, and switch to a different one every morning.

The OP didn't say he wanted it to do this only during a specific time frame. The way I read his message was that he wanted it to behave in this manner all the time.

The OP didn't say he wanted it to do this only during a specific time frame. The way I read his message was that he wanted it to behave in this manner all the time.

He mentions night, specifically, in his first post.