What's new

hi question from a COMPLETE iPhone newbie

kenny1999

Reaction score
Hi, I 've bought a new iPhone today, and it's the first time I use an iPhone 4S (and smartphone) as well.

Now I've got a several critical question to ask about my freshly activated iPhone

1. It comes with certain amount of battery. Do I have to play around it and discharge it to the minimum first before I recharge it? Some legends say that it is necessary to charge the battery for 12 hours for the first time to use and some says that we always shouldn't discharge the battery to less than 20%. It's very confusing. Lots of very different comments. Now, I've got my new IPhone 4S, it gets some battery and I've never tried it. Should I charge it first? For how many hours do I need?

2. How to check for dead Pixel? I've asked the staff but they say no apps to make it. And they seem reluctant to answer my question.

3. When I press the Home button, does it mean that the Apps has completely exit? If I browse a webpage and I want to completely leave the page to avoid being charged for download traffic. Is it sufficient to just press the "Home" button to exit

1) You should do one deep cycle discharge to 10% and then a full recharge so your iPhone can learn the characteristics of the battery installed.

2) Launch Safari and turn it sideways. Then hit the bottom right icon to go do full screen. Then go into Setting -> General -> Accessibility -> Invert Colors and set it to ON. Rerun the Safari test. Best solution I have found to date.

3) Apps don't exit. The go into a suspended state that doesn't use any battery, CPU or data unless the app uses a background API call that allows them to continue running. Those apps are generally for GPS, Music or other data streaming. You will know when you are using that kind of App.

But your specific question about Safari is easily handled. There is an icon on the bottom row to the right that looks like two windows. If you tap that it will allow you to close that web page. I do recommend doing that based on your specific question since Safari tries to keep all your active webages up to date when you relaunch it.

Also you might want to read this thread http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ythbusting-lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/ to further clarify some of my answers.

1) You should do one deep cycle discharge to 10% and then a full recharge so your iPhone can learn the characteristics of the battery installed.

2) Launch Safari and turn it sideways. Then hit the bottom right icon to go do full screen. Then go into Setting -> General -> Accessibility -> Invert Colors and set it to ON. Rerun the Safari test. Best solution I have found to date.

3) Apps don't exit. The go into a suspended state that doesn't use any battery, CPU or data unless the app uses a background API call that allows them to continue running. Those apps are generally for GPS, Music or other data streaming. You will know when you are using that kind of App.

But your specific question about Safari is easily handled. There is an icon on the bottom row to the right that looks like two windows. If you tap that it will allow you to close that web page. I do recommend doing that based on your specific question since Safari tries to keep all your active webages up to date when you relaunch it.

Also you might want to read this thread http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ythbusting-lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/ to further clarify some of my answers.

HI now I have NOT yet charged the new IPhone for even one time. It remains 30% of battery. Do you mean I should let it go to 10% then I recharge it to 100% full?
Some people say these new kinds of battery don't have "memory", I am not quite sure what they are talking about, but they seem to mean that no special practice on first charging is needed to make sure the battery performs the best and last for the longest. I've looked at the official Apple website and they haven't mentioned anything about first time charging.

Hi, I 've bought a new iPhone today, and it's the first time I use an iPhone 4S (and smartphone) as well.

Now I've got a several critical question to ask about my freshly activated iPhone

1. It comes with certain amount of battery. Do I have to play around it and discharge it to the minimum first before I recharge it? Some legends say that it is necessary to charge the battery for 12 hours for the first time to use and some says that we always shouldn't discharge the battery to less than 20%. It's very confusing. Lots of very different comments. Now, I've got my new IPhone 4S, it gets some battery and I've never tried it. Should I charge it first? For how many hours do I need?

2. How to check for dead Pixel? I've asked the staff but they say no apps to make it. And they seem reluctant to answer my question.

3. When I press the Home button, does it mean that the Apps has completely exit? If I browse a webpage and I want to completely leave the page to avoid being charged for download traffic. Is it sufficient to just press the "Home" button to exit
Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

poisonivy……iPF STAFF.
iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

HI now I have NOT yet charged the new IPhone for even one time. It remains 30% of battery. Do you mean I should let it go to 10% then I recharge it to 100% full?

If you want. Or you can do it a week from now. iOS won't care either way. But the sooner you do it, the sooner the phone can report the battery status to a more accurate degree.

Some people say these new kinds of battery don't have "memory", I am not quite sure what they are talking about, but they seem to mean that no special practice on first charging is needed to make sure the battery performs the best and last for the longest. I've looked at the official Apple website and they haven't mentioned anything about first time charging.

Lithium-Ion batteries, the kind that is in your iPhone, don't have the same memory or initial charging issues that Ni-Cad batteries had. So you don't have to worry about that at all.

If you want. Or you can do it a week from now. iOS won't care either way. But the sooner you do it, the sooner the phone can report the battery status to a more accurate degree.

Lithium-Ion batteries, the kind that is in your iPhone, don't have the same memory or initial charging issues that Ni-Cad batteries had. So you don't have to worry about that at all.

Hello Thank you very much for your help, but I am really confused at the moment. >.<

While you are saying that I should let the battery down to 20% then recharged it to full in order to achieve / report the best status , but you (and many other people) also say that no "memory" is the characteristics of the new kind of Li battery and it deosn't have to matter. I am really confused about these statements.

I hope you can give further elaboration about that I am really a serious newbie. Thanks

Hello Thank you very much for your help, but I am really confused at the moment. >.<

While you are saying that I should let the battery down to 20% then recharged it to full in order to achieve / report the best status , but you (and many other people) also say that no "memory" is the characteristics of the new kind of Li battery and it deosn't have to matter. I am really confused about these statements.

I hope you can give further elaboration about that I am really a serious newbie. Thanks

The battery does not have a memory.

iOS has to learn what your batteries capabilities are. IE it needs to know where 100% charge is and where nearly 0% charge is. Once it knows that information it can show you what percentage of battery remains since you last charged it.

The battery does not have a memory.

iOS has to learn what your batteries capabilities are. IE it needs to know where 100% charge is and where nearly 0% charge is. Once it knows that information it can show you what percentage of battery remains since you last charged it.

Do you mean that for the "hardware" of the battery, it won't have memory. so, physically I can charge and discharge at anytime for any length of time whenever convenient, without having much effect to the battery life. And for the 'software' part, iOS, I have let the iOS to know where 100% and 0% charge is. But how to let it know? How about the number 20% you ve mentioned before.

I don't really understand.

A few min before my Iphone has dropped below 20% of battery , at around 18% and I started to it now. So , will the iOS recognize that 18% as 0%????

Thanks

Last edited:
You could keep it charging it from 18% to 42% with no issues for the rest of the phones life. But if you ever decided to finally charge it to 100% the phone will not have a good idea of where the battery dies. So it might show you used the phone for 7 hours and almost dead instead of 7.5 hours and almost dead.

That's it.

crying.............. i am more confused now >.< help!!!!!please!!!

Sorry to hear that but I have explained it four different ways for you and that is all anyone can be expected to do. So please re-read because the answers are all there.

Sorry to hear that but I have explained it four different ways for you and that is all anyone can be expected to do. So please re-read because the answers are all there.

hi thanks for your patience. I've re-read your words but .... or I should ask in this way.... Now, I let the first time battery down to 18% then I recharged it to full 100% and power cut off. Was it correct?