What's new

Hello All!

Imnutsnj

Reaction score
Good evening to everyone. I joined your forum because I'm interested in trying out my first Iphone. I'm guessing I should get the 4 or 4s to start out with. What I'm wondering is what would be a good price for a used phone whether I get it on Craigslist or some other site? Or would any of you have a place to get a phone. My current phone is the HTC DROID DNA, which if I decide I like the iPhone, I would pass it on to my wife. I look forward to hearing from the group.

Frank

Welcome aboard! You'll love it!

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums. I'm Jon.

Please take some time to peruse the IPF Rules: iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Here are some guides that may suit your needs.

iPhone Tips & Tricks

What is jailbreaking?

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

Understanding and Utilizing RedSn0w

Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on this iOS/Jailbreak Status Thread

My particular field of expertise is iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

It's recommended that you buy smartphones from authorized dealers or from Apple directly. You don't necessarily have to start off with the 4 or 4S though the 4S is a very very solid device (the successor of the 3GS in terms of potential age). Reason is that you can never be sure if the device you're buying has strings attached or not. The majority of CL and unauthorized sellers are selling either stolen/lost phones, or selling the phone and claiming it lost to get a new phone. In both cases, you won't be able to use the phone since the ESN/IMEI is blocked since it's reported stolen/lost and is then blacklisted. If you start a new contract, the 16GB 4S is $99, which is a very nice deal TBH since the 4S is a very solid iPhone. If you head over to your local Walmart, you might be able to get it for a bit less. A little while back, it was $49 for the 4S when you renew or start a new 2-year contract. Now, you might get it for $79 possibly.

The 5 isn't that bad either if you're willing to fork over a little more as an investment. It is 4G/LTE compatible so you'll get a nice little speed boost depending on your area. The 5 does resemble the DNA in terms of size if you like a slightly larger screen. Head over to your local authorized dealer, hold the phones in your hand or borrow your friend's or relative's iPhone and play around before you fully commit. Hands-on experience is almost always better than just verbal relays.

Thanks for the info Jon, I might just go with the 5. As you said nothing beats hands on, that's what I did with my DNA (I was sure a five inch phone would be too big until I held it). What I like most about iPhone is the build quality, which is why on the Android side of things I stuck with HTC, Samsung only knows how to produce junk and the other Android manufacturers aren't much better. Well again I appreciate your help and I look forward to having my new iPhone in the real near future.

Frank

Sent telepathically from my padded cell via an HTC DROID DNA on the iPhone Forums

Was there such an iPhone called a 2G? I just seen one for sale for $20.

Frank

Sent telepathically from my padded cell via an HTC DROID DNA on the iPhone Forums

Thank you Smalltowngirl13