What's new

Hacked Siri Used to Start Car

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score

Gizmodo features a cool little video today that shows how developer Brandon Fiquett has managed to configure his hacked Siri so that it remotely starts (and stops) his car engine, as well as popping the car’s trunk and locking and unlocking it. According to Gizmodo, when Fiquett speaks to Siri and asks it to start his car, a message is sent from his iPhone to a proxy server on his website. The server then sends a message to the car, which has a Viper Smart Start system installed, then starts the car. Before everyone starts wanting to do this though, Gizmodo points out that the necessary hack to enable you to start your car in this way is pretty tricky, requiring the use of Ruby and PHP. However, if you can get past that initial hurdle, the report adds that Viper’s Smart Start system does the rest of the hard work for you, as it has already been designed to enable smartphones to start car ignitions, although using Siri takes it one step further of course by using voice commands.

Source: Who Needs Keys When Siri Has Been Hacked to Start Cars? | Gizmodo UK

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.

إيكرانك...المسطرة

Can you ask him to pop to mine and start my car? If he does I'll buy him a drink (laughs out loud) I can't see Siri starting any ole car, just ones you have the software already built into the car and the software via your pc so to most wanna be gangsters thinking "oh yeahhhh" it'll be easier to carry on as you are with a screwdriver (laughs out loud)

iHolophyte

Almost any car can be fitted with a remote start, as long as it has a starter motor I don't see any reason why it can't.

I seen the video a couple of days back. I'm not saying it is, but it wouldn't be hard to fake...

For me its just another great thing that shows what the iphone is capable of... Think ill be old fashioned though and stick with the key to start my car lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chantelle310 said:
For me its just another great thing that shows what the iphone is capable of... Think ill be old fashioned though and stick with the key to start my car lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. You have to do that anyway.

إيكرانك...المسطرة

well its not that complex. the alarm system he and i both have has the viper smart start. so if you are willing to pay the 100 a year for the service then it would be helpful. but for all that lag i would much rather use the remote. but the only real time this app "viper smart start" is useful is when you left your keys inside your car or something.