What's new

Griffin Defender Case - anyone tried them?

crowd pleaser

Reaction score
Hi guys, I ride a motorbike use my ip4 for sat nav and music. Big worry is sudden showers on grey days.

Reading the thread on another heavy duty case, then while researching spotted this Griffen Defender Case @ £20 inc postage on flea bay. looks a good option for a recent poster, concerned about sweating while jogging and damaging the phone.

It do make it more chunky but for people like me who work on dusty building sites, and sometimes in the rain looking after our precious expensive and adored iPhones takes president over style.

Any good/bad comments?

CP

The otter box defender case has always gotten excellent reviews. I haven't seen any reviews for griffin's model. I do however have a griffin case and am extremely pleased with it...

What the makers claim -:

the Griffin Extreme Duty Case is the most protective case we've ever built. Tested and certified to meet or exceed US Department of Defense Standard 810F and UK Department of Defense Standard 00-35, Griffin's Survivor Extreme-Duty Case is designed from the inside out to protect your iPhone from extreme conditions ... dirt, sand, rain, shock, vibration and a host of other environmental factors.Survivor is built on a shatter-resistant polycarbonate frame clad in rugged, shock absorbing silicone. A built-in screen protector seals your Multi-Touch display from the outside environment, while hinged plugs seal the dock connector, headphone port, hold switch and volume controls. A detachable heavy-duty clip secures your iPhone to a belt or bag strap. Survivor is independently tested and verified to meet or exceed environmental testing standards for blown rain, blown dust & grit, vibration, shock, temperature and humidity.

Looks a fairly impressive spec for the money

CP

Last edited:
To update -:

Received mine today and I'm very impressed on 1st sight/use. This case is not the last work in style, but if like me protection is your main concern then read on.

Case had no instructions, and not immediately obvious how tiger it apart as the fit to the inner case is very snug

Once you peel off the silicone rubber sleeve you have 2 piece clam case made if hard abs plastic.

With iP4 inserted there are various flaps to cover the ports and buttons, allowing you to insert headphones and charger lead, but I doubt it will sit on a regular dock and connect.

The belt clip is not overly exciting, don't think I'd trust it, but serves as a very useful stand.

The rubber outer has 6 wrap around buffers, and in landscape typing is not affected, in portrait it is not so easy due to the thickness of the assembled case, you tend to miss peripheral keys like space - shift etc.

The home button like apparently thr Otterbox is very pronounced, and some complain over this, I feel when wearing thick motor bike or winter gloves it will be a major bonus, shaving down the inner extenuation for the home button could i feel easily sort it

The feel of the case is while chunky very good IMHO, not sure your phone will survive a dive into a big white telephone, but perhaps rain, and jogger sweat proof.

It should suit my personal needs for site work protecting against drops from ladders and working in the rain, and motorbike riding.

CP

Nice review. Any pics?

I'm thinking of getting something like this for work but it might be a bit over the top for me...

I bought my husband this case because he's a tanker in the Army and is really hard on his phones. He loves it and it fits perfectly in his hands. I would recommend it for anyone who does rough jobs.

Thus far the only slight naff is the flap over the mute switch tends to move it to 'off' when closed.

I think that issue can be easily fixed with a deft application of a craft knife :).

CP

I got a few pictures of the case. I love it...

Attachments

• $image-2972217983.jpg
    $image-2972217983.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 484
  • $image-2320873621.jpg
    $image-2320873621.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 455
Beenusing my Griffin case for a week now, and i'm very very pleased with it.

If I'm being very harsh, typing is hindered and better done in landscape mode, i would agree with others the camera flap is a pain, as is the fairly flimsy belt clip being it's worst features, but then you can quickly remove the outer case for photos, I have draw full of previous case unused belt clips, as with other cases on other makes of phones, I've never been keen to wear a phone oenly on my belt or pocket, makes it far to easy to be grabbed by a theif, caught/bashed on furniture or snagged on cables and openings.

With any soft case fitted, it is harder to notice if it falls, especially on carpet or noisy places, so you could sislodge and loose the phone far easier.

I won't day it is a perfect solution for everyone, especially if the gorgeously sleek iPhone style is most important to you, this case makes for a seriously bulkier solution, but also very rugged form of protection.

Other advantages, this type of heavy case disguises the phones sleek shape, ther iPones users are surprized its an iphone, also highly prized by threives and attractive to steal, in the case Rhe iPone looks more like a stock checkers bar code reader :).

You can buy the case in Amazon for less than £20 delivered, comes in verious colours including White, I'd say ideal for the beech (not swimming) to keep sand out, or when cycling, motor biking, etc.

IMHO well worth it just for those particular use's.

CP

It's the case I've used daily since getting the iPhone. Seems quite more "rugged" than the otterbox. Like the previous user, I prefer not to use the belt clip. Not having too much trouble with the touch screen in portrait mode.. I'm typing this now with the case on and having no problems.. Of course I'm not a Sasquatch with bulbous fingers.. Lol..
All in all the best protective case I've seen on the market. I would suggest buying it Online as it's $45 at walmart.

Hi
Just ordered the Griffin Survivor from Amazon. £20 incl free postage if you
dont want it next day.

Looks excellent and all the reviews I've seen seem good

Ordered my iPhone 4 just before the case order as i dont want it to be bashed about while i wait for a good case

Regards

Andy

On my iphone since day one, camera flap is a pain, but other than that it is great. Hides the " i have an iphone apperance", but not important if you want great protection. My wife has the otterbox, which is slimmer but the silicone is alredy peeling away from the hard case.

After few weeks use now, more than happy, reports if otter box peeling makes me more so

Not lost or chopped off any flaps which still close nicely.

on reflection I would suggest to use a screen protector to protect the clear plastic cover from any key or change made scratches while in pockets.

CP