What's new

GPS app for mapping out and saving a path I'm walking?

Colorblend

Reaction score
Maybe the title is clumsily phrased, but here's the deal: A couple times I have walked an old forest path not many know about, and it is difficult to follow because landslides have destroyed parts of it and once you cross a landslide it is quite difficult to find it again as it is narrow and overgrown and you often find yourself clutching to branches in the slope trying to find it again. I would like to walk it and as I walk, have my iphone on and have a clear line drawn on a map by my footsteps. Preferably on google maps or a map system where the landscape can be made out with treelines, hillsides and such.

What would also be useful is a way to "tag" spots as I walk, like, "spot F, beginning of second landslide" and "spot G, path visible again".

Is there an app that may suit my purposes? I am new to the Iphone and not very knowledgeable yet.

You could try a sativia biking app or there are several of this type to track you

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

I do not know what country you are in, but I use ViewRanger and it does everything you need. It has lots of maps available, some you have to pay for. It depends what is available for your country. The App does work with Open Street Map, but not much detail probably for what you need. I'm in the UK and have bought some of the OS maps. It's a free App, but there is also a paid version that includes some credits so you can download map 'tiles' (pieces of the whole map). Take a look.

Thank you so much for your tips, I'll check them out.

Maybe the title is clumsily phrased, but here's the deal: A couple times I have walked an old forest path not many know about, and it is difficult to follow because landslides have destroyed parts of it and once you cross a landslide it is quite difficult to find it again as it is narrow and overgrown and you often find yourself clutching to branches in the slope trying to find it again. I would like to walk it and as I walk, have my iphone on and have a clear line drawn on a map by my footsteps. Preferably on google maps or a map system where the landscape can be made out with treelines, hillsides and such.

What would also be useful is a way to "tag" spots as I walk, like, "spot F, beginning of second landslide" and "spot G, path visible again".

Is there an app that may suit my purposes? I am new to the Iphone and not very knowledgeable yet.

Have a look at Trail Tracker. I really like this when walking a new course. This may be helpful!

Here's the link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trail-tracker-gps/id557381938?mt=8