What's new

Gmail contacts not 2 way

cirian75

Reaction score
I have Gmail setup on my 4s as an exchange account.

got all my contacts easy peasey

How ever I have not noticed that it is not a 2 way sync, new contacts are not being transfered back to gmail contacts, and it is set as default in settings

Ideas ?

This is why I use iCloud for contacts.

Sorry I can't help you. Im pretty sure one of the Mods here is a Gmail iPhone syncing expert. Just cant remember which one.

Just out of curiosity, do you have iCloud or any other account setup with contacts syncing?

Not using iCloud at all

I have a 2nd gmail on, but it's email only, no Cal or contacts

Then lets try this.

Bring up your contacts list. Top left should be a "Groups" back button. Click it. This new screen should list only two items based on your description. One labeled "Contacts" the other "Global Address List". If you see more than those two, that means iOS thinks there are more than one account syncing.

Just the the two

Contacts and global.

Ok. Lets run a live test then. First use Safari on your iPhone to browse cnn.com. That way there is not doubt the phone is on some kind of internet connection that is live. Close Safari.

Open Contacts. Click on the top right + button. Set the First Name to "Test". Click Done. Watch the status bar area left of the Clock and to the right of the WiFi/3G (or whatever symbol represents your internet connection). There should briefly appear a spinning symbol. That should occur within 1 second of pressing Done.

If there is no spinning symbol, then we know where the disconnect is happening and this will require more research for a solution.

If there is a spinning symbol, then go to a PC and access www.google.com/contacts and if needed sign in. Scroll down this list and look for Test. If you see it, then there might be a perception issue we need to diagnose instead.

The 3G activity thingy spinned and it showed up in contact on gmail

Strangely. The two that had noticed had not synced, did as well.

Don't know the cause but it's working as it should

Cheers :)

Ok, then it was a temp glitch in communications. And while it sucks to have happen when you don't need it, glad it is working now.

Yes, gonna do a back up of both the iPhone and get a csv copy off gmail ASAP

This is why I use iCloud for contacts.

Sorry I can't help you. Im pretty sure one of the Mods here is a Gmail iPhone syncing expert. Just cant remember which one.

And I am no expert :p

I just play with it more than I should :D

LOL

It'll fall off if your not to careful lol :)