What's new

Folks cannot hear me when I answer my phone??? What's up?

HDChiky

Reaction score
What's going on with my iPhone4? When it rings and I answer no one can hear me answer back. Does not happen all the time but MOST of the time. Please help. I tried a search but did not find anything. Thanks for any advise.

Chiky

ok, have you checked to see if you are muting the phone when you place it next to your face?

If that is happening, odds are you have a screen protector that is too thick and blocking the phones ability to turn the screen off to avoid hitting mute by accident.

I have a Zagg Shield on the phone that has been there since day 1. (I was one of the crazys standing in line for the new phone...) It was never an issue before. Thanks for your reply!
I am usually very careful about the mute button - it also shows up red if it has been muted too - wouldn't I notice that?

Chiky

Next time it happens, double check to see if mute has been hit. If it has, I would recommend cleaning the detection area above the speaker. Also make sure your case isn't sagging slightly to cover that area.

It probably wouldn't hurt to reboot the phone either.

Gday im having the same issue but it seems to drop out also.
I just got an iphone 4 yesterday and have an OTTER BOX defender case.
It seems fine when case removed and im wondering if anyone has the same issue?
Why and how can they sell these cases if its a known issue?
Thx
Brad

Called otterbox yesterday due to an issue with my case smelling like MOLD. 1. They are so helpful! 2. They say that the defender series is actually not approved for VzW iphones. Cuz it causes our ambient light sensor to not function properly. So this could also affect the mics on our devices.

AndySavage said:
2. They say that the defender series is actually not approved for VzW iphones. Cuz it causes our ambient light sensor to not function properly. So this could also affect the mics on our devices.

I disagree on this statement. I've owned the defender case for awhile. Otterbox makes a universal version.

Hey guys - I have the Otterbox Defender case also and thought this was the issue so I removed it. Still the same issue. Yesterday I called the Apple store, made me an appointment with the Genius... they REPLACED my phone - said it appeared to be a hardware issue (microphone?). I also had purchased the warranty thingy, so there was not a charge. So far, the new one is working fine. I did put it back in the Otterbox case - It is a fairly new case for me and I am still out to lunch about whether or not I like it - seems a little on the bulky side to me, but, hey if it saves the phone on a drop I'll be okay with it. Good luck...

Chiky

HDChiky said:
Hey guys - I have the Otterbox Defender case also and thought this was the issue so I removed it. Still the same issue. Yesterday I called the Apple store, made me an appointment with the Genius... they REPLACED my phone - said it appeared to be a hardware issue (microphone?). I also had purchased the warranty thingy, so there was not a charge. So far, the new one is working fine. I did put it back in the Otterbox case - It is a fairly new case for me and I am still out to lunch about whether or not I like it - seems a little on the bulky side to me, but, hey if it saves the phone on a drop I'll be okay with it. Good luck...

Chiky

That's good that they replaced it for you. I l love the defender.

iCrank said:
I disagree on this statement. I've owned the defender case for awhile. Otterbox makes a universal version.

It says on website that it isnt supposed to be used with "white iphone 4" handsets mine has been in case since day 1. And while using fring i umderstood what they meant...the space At the top partially impairs the sensor ie it doesnt detect brightness as well as it should. Do this test to see what i mean: take a photo in the dark with the box on and take one with it off. should be a visible difference in pic quality.

AndySavage said:
It says on website that it isnt supposed to be used with "white iphone 4" handsets mine has been in case since day 1. And while using fring i umderstood what they meant...the space At the top partially impairs the sensor ie it doesnt detect brightness as well as it should. Do this test to see what i mean: take a photo in the dark with the box on and take one with it off. should be a visible difference in pic quality.

With that said you never mentioned the white iPhone. You said the vzw iPhone.