What's new

Find my iPhone app query

compiler

Reaction score
OK, we have two iPhones. I can get on iCloud and use that app. and it seems to work fine. Two questions:

1) Is there a way for it to track it in real time. When I use it, it shows a snapshot of where the phone is at that time. If it is moving, it won't track it. I can get off and back on and see the latest position. It would be neat to track it (like with a GPS).

2) I know there is a Find my iPhone app. Is there any reason NOT to install the app on both my iPhones?

Mel

You should definitely have Find my phone on both devices.

Actually, it would not d/l from the App store. It was driving me nuts. Thanks to google, I found out that it already comes with my IOS (10.2). It was part of an app called EXTRA.

So, we had it all the time

Mel

I never heard of EXTRA. I recently tested Find My iPhone with my Wife's phone when she went to visit a friend. I had never done it before. She doesn't have the app on her phone. It showed her phone. When she came home, I looked. It was stationary in one spot. Did like you. But the next time I just kept watching and it did move. But not a steady continuous move. It would jump from one spot to another. Maybe a mile or so per jump. It also showed her phone as offline. But it was on cellular.

I never heard of EXTRA. I recently tested Find My iPhone with my Wife's phone when she went to visit a friend. I had never done it before. She doesn't have the app on her phone. It showed her phone. When she came home, I looked. It was stationary in one spot. Did like you. But the next time I just kept watching and it did move. But not a steady continuous move. It would jump from one spot to another. Maybe a mile or so per jump. It also showed her phone as offline. But it was on cellular.
Is your wife's iPhone on the latest version of iOS? Find My iPhone us one of the apps that can't be deleted. It can be hidddn in a folder which is what I believe was what the OP meant when he mentioned Extra. That was probably the name of the folder he found it in.

Is your wife's iPhone on the latest version of iOS? Find My iPhone us one of the apps that can't be deleted. It can be hidddn in a folder which is what I believe was what the OP meant when he mentioned Extra. That was probably the name of the folder he found it in.
Yes. EXTRA is a folder that has a few apps in it, including Find my iPhone.
It's good to know that it does track. I'll have to try it again and be more patient!

Mel

Yes, she's on 10.2 and has Find My iPhone enabled. I guess she does have the app, but doesn't open it. I'm puzzled why her phone shows as offline. Does that only indicate wifi?

No. The iPhone will appear as online, even if Wi-Fi is disabled. It just has to be connected to a known data network, in that case.

According to Apple, an Apple device shows up as offline, when it's powered off, or not connected to a network, or Sent my Last Location is turned on, and it didn't send the location to Apple for more than 24 hours.

Last edited:
Find my iPhone is a neat app to track a lost or stolen phone.

It's also great for keeping tabs on your wife or girlfriend.

Ok, getting back to my first question:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1) Is there a way for it to track it in real time. When I use it, it shows a snapshot of where the phone is at that time. If it is moving, it won't track it. I can get off and back on and see the latest position. It would be neat to track it (like with a GPS).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
It still appears that it doesn't track, but instead just shows a snapshot in time. Am I missing something?
I do find I can just refresh the page and I'll get the latest position.

Mel

No. The iPhone will appear as online, even if Wi-Fi is disabled. It just has to be connected to a known data network, in that case.

According to Apple, an Apple device shows up as offline, when it's powered off, or not connected to a network, or Sent my Last Location is turned on, and it didn't send the location to Apple for more than 24 hours.

She didn't have her phone powered off. And it showed on Find My iPhone. It moved location as she came home. But it showed offline. Mine showed offline briefly today at home on WiFi.
UPDATE: I just spoke with Apple. He first said if it showed offline it either was power off or not getting any signal at all, cellular or wifi. After further discussion, he checked. Then he said it was only wifi. So, apparently, if it shows offline, it's only because no wifi. [emoji4]

Last edited:
Interesting. The app's description says Wi-Fi or cellular internet connection is required. And the app found my iPhone when I turned off Wi-Fi, and it had cellular data connection only.

Interesting. The app's description says Wi-Fi or cellular internet connection is required. And the app found my iPhone when I turned off Wi-Fi, and it had cellular data connection only.

That's how mine was. One or the other is required. But only "no wifi" shows offline. It still has cellular and works. I tested it again and her phone went dead. In that case it didn't work. Her phone showed black on the map. When she plugged in, it started to work again with no wifi.

Not sure if this helps but in the upper right corner there is a curved arrow, to update location press the arrow and it should change while updating, when it stops it has updated.