What's new

Family Shared Apple Music with Verizon's promo?

jntdroid

Reaction score
We use Verizon, and each of our lines are eligible for the "free Apple Music" promo. My family is on an Amazon Music family plan right now, and we all share the same playlists under the same ID (in other words, the family plan simply allows us to listen on multiple devices - we don't take advantage of multiple users). We're Apple everything in our household, so I'm wanting to drop Amazon Music and move to Apple Music full time... #1 because it'll be free if we can make this work, and #2 because besides our Windows computers, we're literally all Apple - phones, tablets, Apple TV's on each TV.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to make this work without either signing up for a family plan, or logging into each device with our primary Apple account and just hoping we don't try and play music at the same time. I guess each line could log in with their own Apple ID's, but then we wouldn't be able to really share playlists and keep them synced up.

I could also sign up for a family plan on my ID, which would solve all of the problems - except for it being free. And I can't find any info anywhere stating whether or not we'd get a credit towards the family plan by having that promo on our line or not... which would still be helpful.

Anyway, Verizon is the biggest carrier in the U.S., so I can't imagine I'm the only one trying to figure this out, so I figured I'd post it on a forum or two I've used in the past in the hopes that there might be a good solution to this first world problem! :)

TIA.

The free Apple Music promo is on an individual basis. You won’t get the credits towards the family plan.

I hope this will help a bit:
Apple Music Family Plan on the new plans Aug 5, 20... - Verizon Community

I’ve just tried it with my iPhone and iPad, both logged in to the same ID, and the songs started playing without problems. So using one ID for the devices would be an option.

The free Apple Music promo is on an individual basis. You won’t get the credits towards the family plan.

I hope this will help a bit:
Apple Music Family Plan on the new plans Aug 5, 20... - Verizon Community

I’ve just tried it with my iPhone and iPad, both logged in to the same ID, and the songs started playing without problems. So using one ID for the devices would be an option.

Thanks for that link and for the reply! That last post in that thread could be our solution, to at least get us all synced up to start...

So both were playing at the same time for you? And you're *not* on a family plan (which allows more devices at once)?

Every time I've tried (using the same ID), as soon as I start playing on one device, it immediately stops on the other. If it's iTunes on the computer, it actually gives me a message about how it's being played on another device. But on my phone, it just stops outright.

Thanks for that link and for the reply! That last post in that thread could be our solution, to at least get us all synced up to start...

So both were playing at the same time for you? And you're *not* on a family plan (which allows more devices at once)?

Every time I've tried (using the same ID), as soon as I start playing on one device, it immediately stops on the other. If it's iTunes on the computer, it actually gives me a message about how it's being played on another device. But on my phone, it just stops outright.
Yes, both played at the same time. I share Apple Music with my family, I am the organiser.
Without a family plan, you can’t play music on more than one iPhone/iPad/Mac.

Yes, both played at the same time. I share Apple Music with my family, I am the organiser.
Without a family plan, you can’t play music on more than one iPhone/iPad/Mac.

Right, exactly. Verizon’s promo only covers individual plans, but it can do it on every line we have. So it would basically be four free individual plans, which is why I’m trying to figure out a way to take advantage of that without having to buy into a family plan. I think the only workaround is doing what the last post in that thread states - but keeping it synced beyond the start wouldn’t be possible. Or just deal with using the same ID and overlapping from time to time - which probably wouldn’t work for long.

I know, just pay the $15/month for the family plan and be done with it...