What's new

Factory Resettting - iCloud issue

Stew0k

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This post is similar to my last one in fact, we have had a customer come into the office today with 4 iPhones that he'd like to be factory reset, but he has an iCloud account on them, he has forgotten the password to the iCloud account and the email address that was used to setup up the account has since been deactivate.

Is there a way we can change the email address or even take the account off without this email account being active or knowing the password at all?

I know this is a strange request, but it is in fact legitimate and the iPhones are owned by his company.

Many thanks,
Steve

There are two primary issues at play here.

1) What version of iOS is on each of the phones.

2) Was the iCloud account on each phone setup with "Find my iPhone" enabled?

Without knowing those two answers, it's hard to give good advice.

As far as it is known, there is no way to bypass iCloud activation lock and restore those phones without the Apple ID and password for each one. If the phones were used by former employees, try contacting then to see if they'll give the password.

I've got four phones with the below information:
iPhone 4 - iOS 6.1.3 (Not sure how to tell if Find my iPhone is active)
iPhone 5s - iOS 7.0.4 (Find my iPhone is active)
iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1.2 (Find my iPhone is active)
iPhone 6 - iOS 8.0 (Find my iPhone is active)

I've got four phones with the below information:
iPhone 4 - iOS 6.1.3 (Not sure how to tell if Find my iPhone is active)
iPhone 5s - iOS 7.0.4 (Find my iPhone is active)
iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1.2 (Find my iPhone is active)
iPhone 6 - iOS 8.0 (Find my iPhone is active)
The first phone could be made workable by connecting it to iTunes on your computer and restoring it to iOS 8.3. iCloud Activation Lock was introduced with iOS 7, in 2013. The other three phones will be subject to iCloud activation lock and can't be restored without the Apple ID and password that was last used on them.

The iPhone 4 on iOS 6 can be wiped and it will be ready to go. Lock out wasn't introduced until iOS 7.

The remaining 3 on the other hand, are not so lucky. The first question I have is, where all three phones setup using a company email address that your friend controls?

They were setup on to the directors company email account, he is no longer with the company and these are his phones. He is now with another company and can't recall the password for the apple ID his old IT team setup for his.
The old email account was deactivated when he moved companies.

Those passwords are absolutely essential if you ever hope to restore those iPhones to operational condition. Can the former director give you any clues at all as to what the passwords may have been?

That is the question I suppose, it's all down to him giving us the answer now. Thanks for all of your help guys.

They were setup on to the directors company email account, he is no longer with the company and these are his phones. He is now with another company and can't recall the password for the apple ID his old IT team setup for his.
The old email account was deactivated when he moved companies.

If you have control of the email server, re-add the email accounts and then you can gain positive control.

Yes, I think with the email addresses, you can reset the password, as long as there are no security questions.

Yes, I think with the email addresses, you can reset the password, as long as there are no security questions.

Security questions are only asked when you use the website to show you the password. If you use the email only side, there are no security questions involved.

Security questions are only asked when you use the website to show you the password. If you use the email only side, there are no security questions involved.
OK. I thought it was an option to use either the questions or email recovery.