What's new

Email subjects

marknashe

Reaction score
Hi there,

I had an iPhone 4S but returned for a Droid, orginally was on a Blackberry. I had a ton of issues with my 4S which was why I returned it but since then, a lot of people I know have them but do not have my issues, so I'm thinking mine was a one off, and am now reconsidering purchasing a 4S

However, one issue I had, when using Exchange ActiveSync, is when I'd send an email to someone with a blank subject, and they'd reply to me, on a normal email message on the computer, the subject would be "Re:", but on my iPhone, it was "RE: Re:", then if I replied again, it would be "RE: Re: Re:" and so on, I'm pretty sure you get the point. Now I know, the quick answer would be, "ummmm put a subject" and sure that would work but often I don't and that's my habit, so if I forget, I don't want to deal with all the re re's. On Blackberry, this does not happen, and on all the android's I've had, using ActiveSync, as well, that never happened. Is it Apple's built-in mail client that does that, or was it a setting that I missed?

Thanks

-MN

Simplest answer when you reply delete the RE's from the subject bar when you think it's too full of RE's and it makes you remember to look at the subject bar to realise you never put anything in there. When you spot this just delete them until it's full again. Other answers would be there isn't a fix other then use a heading. I.E Put something in whether it's the first email or a replied email. Delete RE and put A if you don't want a subject. By putting A will eliminate the RE. You getting the picture?

iHolophyte

Simplest answer when you reply delete the RE's from the subject bar when you think it's too full of RE's and it makes you remember to look at the subject bar to realise you never put anything in there. When you spot this just delete them until it's full again. Other answers would be there isn't a fix other then use a heading. I.E Put something in whether it's the first email or a replied email. Delete RE and put A if you don't want a subject. By putting A will eliminate the RE. You getting the picture?

iHolophyte

Yeah, I get the picture and I know that's what I can do. It's just VERY annoying. No other mobile mail client does this. They should correct it

Yeah, I get the picture and I know that's what I can do. It's just VERY annoying. No other mobile mail client does this. They should correct it

And that's the works of "Apple" they could change lots to act in the same way as all they other phones out there, but if they did, you'd wander off and they'd be no challenges. Also if every phone was exactly the same the mobile phone world would be dull and this forum would become extinct.

iHolophyte

I agree. Apple does a lot of things different and to me that's what sets them apart, but on this, I couldn't disagree more with you. This is a bug. This is apple's mail client, not being able to handle an email with no subject properly.

You and I are not going to fix it, so there's no point trying to argue it though :)

On a side note, and I'm new to iPhone, so this may be a dumb question, but is there any email applications that Apple approves to be installed? Like an iMac comes with the mail client, but you can install MS Outlook. I didn't know if such an app exists for iPhone/iPad

You and I are not going to fix it, so there's no point trying to argue it though :)

Argue me? You got me all wrong, I do NOT argue. Ask anyone 😝

But in fairness I agree with you!

As for the MS outlook I have no idea. I just use each email I have via the set up when you go through it on the phone. As I use outlook on my pc. I'd love if they had outlook on here but it's Microsoft so if the M/S app was around its be a mimicked one I'm sure.

iHolophyte

Argue me? You got me all wrong, I do NOT argue. Ask anyone 

iHolophyte

Sorry about that. Good to know. Yeah I was torn with between this 4S and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus from Verizon. On the iPhone, I like how I can set my text and emails to silent, but then have sound alerts for important people. Android lacks that, but their email app seems better. It was a touch decision

Sorry about that. Good to know. Yeah I was torn with between this 4S and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus from Verizon. On the iPhone, I like how I can set my text and emails to silent, but then have sound alerts for important people. Android lacks that, but their email app seems better. It was a touch decision

The one thing that attracts me to Apple is the fact all apps are vetted first. Which makes all apps pretty safe (If there any good is a different matter)

iHolophyte